steveair2's '78 XS Chopped Hard Build

Today I mocked up some bars from electrical conduit. I didn't think I was going to like them. After putting them on and sitting on the bike, I think I like what I have.
Just a few minor tweaks needed.

Attachments

• M90.JPG
    M90.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 271
  • M91.JPG
    M91.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Thanks Airwolfie. There are so many of these types of bikes, it's hard to make something different. I'm trying to make each part a little different than most bikes.
There will probably be several changes made after the bike hits the road.

I will make a few more mock up handle bars before I make the real ones.
The good thing is that the handle bars are easy to make and easy to change out.
I can have several sets if I want.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciated it.

I'm getting the engine cleaned up. It has 26,000 miles on it. I've never heard it run yet.

Attachments

• M92.JPG
    M92.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 289
Engines in frame so I can start fabricating foot peg mounts and control linkages.

Attachments

• M93.JPG
    M93.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 246
  • M94.JPG
    M94.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 271
I didn't read this whole thread, i'm too lazy. Sorry. I usually just skip to the last page and scroll through. I was wondering why the raised seat on a dropseat hardtail. Kinda defeats the purpose. Great looking build though.

I had to raise the seat to make the three inch stainless seat springs work for me.
I'm trying to do things a bit different and I think it may be more comfortable. The good thing is that if I don't like it I can cut it all off and do something else.
Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks lowerc, I'm not really digging the bars either. I'm working on a new design.
The amount of stretch I put in the frame is making bar design difficult.

All my engine mount bolt holes lined up great except for the upper rear ones. I made some new ones that incorporated a exhaust pipe mount on the left side. I had to modify the alternator cover to clear the pipe mount, looks better too. m95.JPG

m96.JPG

m97.JPG

m98.JPG

m99.JPG

Last edited:
Today I made my axle adjusters. I was happy to see that the 120 link chain is enough chain.

Attachments

• m100.JPG
    m100.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 226
  • m101.JPG
    m101.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 241
  • m102.JPG
    m102.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 223
  • m103.JPG
    m103.JPG