TIG or MIG?

jonnyk

a2m
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is a MUST to tig weld the hardtail. I have worked with a few buddies who mig welded theirs, and they came out fine, but I am reading on here so many people who blast weld jobs that arent tig welded. Just wondering cuz I have a great Mig setup, and dont want to deal with the hassle of borrowing a tig. Input anyone?

if your mig skills are up to it, just do it. if they hate o n your bike, or think its unsafe, then that just means they wont ask u for a turn to ride it. mig it. i did.

Put the MIG to work. Alot of people are on the "Oh it's not TIG welded band wagon" And before that they were the same one's on the "Oh it's not MIG welded band wagon".
Hell I would stick weld mine except I've been spoiled by my mig and I hate grinding. lol

I'm glad to see these responses here. From the thread title I was worried what garbage I'd find when I opened the thread. :laugh:

Posted via Mobile

MIG is just as effective as TIG for your needs. This stuff is just EQUIPMENT. It all does the same damn thing, with the quality of the equipment itself playing a role, but ultimately it's the ability of the welder (the human variable) that determines it's worth.

I'm not sure why this is even questioned. There are still operational choppers out there that were built in some dude's garage with an arc welder or oxy/acetylene rig. Argon and helium welding have been around since the '20s. As have both the TIG and MIG processes. TIG has numerous advantages over MIG, but MIG is more than adequate for anything you will be welding on a motorcycle frame.

I used mig for my entire frame, not just the rear end. It works fine if you know how to do it, just make sure everything's clean and that you're getting deep enough penetration.. (Ha, penetration)... I've used arc to build entire frames before, and that was when everyone was telling me how unsafe it was to not use mig. It's just a personal preference, and too many people watch certain TV shows where the higher end equipment is easily accessible.. Hell, I heard that back in the day, some awesome bikes were held together with bondo.. I don't know how true that is, but still. Do what makes you happy man, if the welds crack, you'll just have to fix em. Unless of course, the whole rear end falls of, but that's pretty unlikely if you check your work periodically.

On the early bikes the steel tubing was brazed into forgings at the joints. They probably stick welded them when that was first developed. Now they use new technology. I doubt the new tech is better, just easier and faster.

My welder has both flux and argon capability. I was always told that you can't get the same penetration with argon. But your right everytime I weld with the flux it takes forever to clean it up.

Flux core gets better side penetration and works better for thicker materials but there isn't anything you'll be welding on a motorcycle where that will become an issue unless you're using the smallest, cheapest MIG unit out there. And all of the steel on an XS frame is well within the welding limits of the smaller MIG units. Do yourself a favor and get a tank of argon. You won't regret it.

I have a miller 175 with a nice full tank of argon, and as you said was more than adequate. I was only questioning as some people i talked to made it sound like i would be crazy to ride anything not tig welded. I now understand they had no idea what they were talking about.
Thanks again

Back