UK Bobber Build thread

Funnily enough, I have just ordered a mini speedo, chrome with a white face. Thats probably all the gauges I will have on the bars. I am toying with the idea of putting a mini tacho of the same design low down on the frame and shortening the drive cable just so I can see RPM.
I have the 16" wheel which is causing an issue is getting a fender, however I come across Led Sled via Lowbrow and they have exactly what I want - just out of stock an the moment! Yeah batt box is going the same way as you. My battery is short so I am going to weld some plate on top of the box then cut it , say an inch down to make a top.

You must be reading my mind,Ha ha.
I was looking at these for mine.
03-0745_zps0dbe56d3.jpg

03-0744_zpsbefdbd7c.jpg

Did you order it from mikexs?
Yeah my fender has a little bigger radius than the tire so I cut it shorter than I was really wanting.Might have to weld it back and try to shorten the curve a little.
That battery box idea sounds good to me.

Hi Stampbear, thanks!

Johnt3, that's exact same speedo but I ordered mine from M and P in the UK. I'm doing the batt box this weekend. I'm going to pop into a shop tomorrow that does classic British bikes and see if he has a fender I can work with. I'm finding it hard to justify spending so much on a fender plus shipping plus the UK arse raping tax on anything you bring in!

Yeah, Those fenders are high.What are the taxes on something you bring in?
Make sure you post some pics of your battery box so I can steal your idea. ha ha.
You figure anything out for your electrics tank yet? Just fishin'.
By the time I put the ends on my tank, They will not be coming off again. Thinking I'll go with the door idea with a strap to secure it.Will be fun to access it under the seat.
Expecting my shipment from 650 central tomorrow.Coming by snail mail.

Well, first off its 20% VAT (value added tax) then a handling charge, then a further shipping charge, plus whatever else they can pull out their arse!
I will certainly post some pics up of the battery box but ill deliberately obscure it like a prototype so no one can steal the idea:laugh: Just joking!!!
Nothing yet on the tank apart from tacked to the frame. I am going towards the door set up though. I got some plate the other day to form a radius to match. inside, it'll have to be something I can access relatively easy, so I'll get a few cups of tea on the job this weekend and suss it out.Oooo what you getting from 650 central

Ha HA!! Yeah go ahead and fuzz those pics up. I've got fork gaiters,drive chain and sprockets,lock tabs,seals,engine gasket set,pod filters and some jets for carbs.
Should be in today, hopefully. 20%!!! That VAT tax sucks man. Really tacks on the expense. Should have a gas tank Monday.

Yeah we pay 20% on just about eveything in the UK! Used to it by now!
That sounds like a great delivery to arrive! Ive just nipped out of work and bought a new battery so I can gauge where I need to chop the box. I have some pod filters on order and Im expecting my speedo today, so that'll be the plan for the weekend. Might try and get some throttle set up mocked up and going on.
Still havent found a fender yet - might try and get to an autojumble or something.

Hello mate,ive been watching your build over the last couple of weeks,its coming along very nicely!ive bought myself a project bike its a xs650(obviously) 1972, it was on ebay a couple of weeks ago and couldnt resist! Im from just down the road from you,stockton!have you ever been to rufforth autojumble?its on the first saturday of every month so will be on tomorrow!

Sounds like you've got some work to do.My delivery didn't show up today, so I guess I'll
just work on my fender mounts and some trimming of the fender.
Well I hope you find a fender at the autojumble.Good luck.
My contact is going to a motorcycle swap meet tomorrow to get a gas tank for me.
He had a sportster tank on hand he said it was perfect but wanted a $100 for it.Probably should have bought it. Hopefully my delivery will arrive on monday.
Have a good weekend.

Bucks, thanks for that mate! I'll definitely go to that next month, missed todays! How's sunny Stockton? I'll have seen that bike as I've been keeping an eye on eBay since I bought my project bike off there - noticed a serious lack in the past month since I bought mine - looks like we got there just in time! What's the plan with yours? Good vintage to restore?

Johnt3 gutted your delivery didn't arrive! I haven't managed much today, as I got roped into going to a family photo portrait! Although I did manage to get my rear brake foot pedal sorted out - had to get two and cut them then weld them together to get extra clearance over the exhaust - ill post some pics tomorrow. I'm not going out now - just got the stove lit and it's snowing outside! Beer! TV. Good luck with the tank! Pop some pics up of the fender mounts. Batt box tomorrow!

Family portrait. Ugh! Oh well got to do what you got to do.Yeah, I'll post some pics tomorrow if I can get away from the house! Ha ha!
I know it's not been that long since we started these builds, but it seems like there is still so much to do and so little time.I've still got front fork rebuild and clean up,engine pulled and cleaned up,frame finished welded and painted,wheels cleaned up and painted,Tanks and fender prepped and painted and electrics sorted out. Wait,.. that's not that bad. Is it?:eek:

Yeah not my ideal way to spend a Saturday!
We're getting there! Come spring we'll both be ready to ride! You in the wide open spaces of Kansas, warm breeze, sun and me in the pissing rain and shite roads in the UK. And I'm building a hardtail why? He he! I'm looking forward to it!
Yeah there's still quite a bit left but it's all easily accomplishable! Famous last words!

Warm Breeze he said, more like hot blast furnace in the summer. Ha ha!
I've gotten a few thumbs up from customers coming into the shop over the last few weeks.
That's always welcomed.Even had a offer to buy already, but I'd like to ride next summer so No sir thank you.I might change my mind after I ride a Hardtail in Kansas at my age!

Bucks, thanks for that mate! I'll definitely go to that next month, missed todays! How's sunny Stockton? I'll have seen that bike as I've been keeping an eye on eBay since I bought my project bike off there - noticed a serious lack in the past month since I bought mine - looks like we got there just in time! What's the plan with yours? Good vintage to restore?

Johnt3 gutted your delivery didn't arrive! I haven't managed much today, as I got roped into going to a family photo portrait! Although I did manage to get my rear brake foot pedal sorted out - had to get two and cut them then weld them together to get extra clearance over the exhaust - ill post some pics tomorrow. I'm not going out now - just got the stove lit and it's snowing outside! Beer! TV. Good luck with the tank! Pop some pics up of the fender mounts. Batt box tomorrow!

Stocktons never sunny mate,you should know its pretty much like northumberland :laugh: i,m building a bare bones bobber,plan is to end up with something along the lines of a bmx frame with an engine!pipes been orderd today for the frame,and ive spent a few hours tonight stripping the lump down just to make sure everythings ok!

Johnt3 I wish we we got something resembling a mediocre match let alone a blast furnace! Lol! That sounds like very positive comments from everyone, well done friend! Don't sell, ride, that's my motto, maybe not my better halts though! He he!

Yeah, Bucko, it's not been a great summer has it! Echoing Johnt3 s comments, pop some pics up of that BMX idea and the rest of your build!

Back