vm roundslide identification

xs650dreamer

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
hey guys i bought a couple of carbs just ned some help figuring out what size they are i measure the spigot side but im just not sure anyways here are some pics of the diffence
these pics are from a carb that measure around 38mm id and 42 od these do not have a over flow tube like the other bowls

these pics are from a carb that measure around 36mm id and 42 od

but what has me guesing is the bells difernces. also the size of the slides the one is bigger then the other do vm38 and 36 use differernt slides ?

maybe theyre the same just differnt years and they have changed ? they have differnt size hose nipples also

Looks like you bought two different model carbs not worth fooling with. 38MM would not work well on a 650. probably have the wrong cutaways on the slides.

well i have two of each haha. the guy sold them as 34s but im thinking he was wrong. just trying to figure out if theyre 34 or 36 vms

yea i know its obvious but im kind of a sceptic and my calipers suck haha. but its confirmed after i measures slides and stuff

Yes, the 36s and 38s have different sized slides. Here's a VM spec chart that may help you out .....

http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/vm__round_slide_standard_specifi.htm

There should be an I.D. # stamped on the carb bodies somewhere. Here's the # on a VM32 I have .....

VMID.jpg

Aren't most VM carbs sized by the diameter of the slides? The intake bell or where they hook to the carb holders has little to do with the size but may help determine the model.
Leo

no where they connect to the carbs is what actually depics if theyre 34 36 etc. for example the 28 30 32 34s all use the same slide. 36 and 38 use there own

Yea I called sudco and he said the only way to identify was by the actual bore size but it turns out theyre actually stamped with the size. And I debating whether or not to run the 36 th have 2.5 slides and p6 jets and I ordered 6f9 needles Thinkin they were 34 well see how they work out. Thu might be up for sale soon

It's probably a good thing you called Sudco because I doubt they would have understood a word you're saying had you sent them a written inquiry, lol.

Looking for help identifying a set of vm round slides I picked up that were advertised as vm32's.
They measure ~32mm on the intake side. BUT they are both stamped 34-07. I can't seem to find info on the 34T-07.

full

full

full

I thought that might be the case too. I had a coworker double checked with a different set of calipers. He came up with the same measurement. I'm going to run them whether they're 32's or 34's, I'm just confused by the stamp and measurement. BTW they are clearly genuine Mikuni

The CVK carbs work great no problem with fuel delivery. The bike runs strong to 8000 RPM and had some left. I usually don't pass red line but hard not to the carbs top end is un real. Never ran VM carbs but mrriggs has and the CVK compare well from what I understand. Throttle response is not a problem gas and go.

Back