What do you do for a living ???

Hay doctor's gota ride too good for you most dr. won't get there hands dirty. and hell a dr has it eazy (lol ha ha lol) they only have 2 models to work on and have not change much in 1,000,000 years hell there are more xs models than that just kidding keep on choppen.

Right on - much respect! Love working on these trucks to support you guys. 95% of the wiring on my bike was done from excess wiring from OnSpot tire chains, Vulcan Streamlights, and R.O.M. switches haha. You guys run Seagraves out there right?

Got a couple of different rigs these days. My fire house has an 04' Seagrave Pumper and a 06' Seagrave 100' Rearmount Aerial Ladder. There are some Ferrara Ladders in the fleet, and even a couple of Macks for some of the Special Operations Companies.

Flight Nurse. Flown in quite a few different helos but currently in an EC130. Unfortunately, it means I get constant reminders of the dangers of motorcycling. Fortunately, it hasn't deterred me yet! 90% of the motorcycle accidents I have responded to have been the rider's fault. Mostly speed and coming into corners to hot.

I'm a machine builder welder/fabricator. Which doesn't always relate into making a cool bike. I can work with most metal from 1" plate to 22ga sheetmetal, mild steel, stainless, aluminum, ect. Pay isn't the greatest and the bennies are horrible since i'm not in a union. I start a new job going into machine maintenance next week, which yields better pay and real benefits!

I'm a machine builder welder/fabricator. Which doesn't always relate into making a cool bike. I can work with most metal from 1" plate to 22ga sheetmetal, mild steel, stainless, aluminum, ect. Pay isn't the greatest and the bennies are horrible since i'm not in a union. I start a new job going into machine maintenance next week, which yields better pay and real benefits!

It's a shame that people have such a hard time making a good living as skilled craftsmen anymore.

It's a shame that people have such a hard time making a good living as skilled craftsmen anymore.

It's the area i'm in (chicago). Ten years ago, it was easy to find $50k+/yr jobs in the field. Now most experienced fabricators/welders (non union shops) are lucky to find $14/hr. There was a posting on craigslist not too long ago, looking for experienced fabricators, with a bunch of requirements....pay was $9 per hour!! I had to inquire about it wondering if it was a typo..nope!!! The lady was dead serious about offering $9 per hour, for someone with experience.

I install tile and wood floors. Remodel bath and kitchens, and other home improvements. I have owned my own small business for about 16 years now, but been in the trades for 20 now. It's a bummer gaining work by having to bid less on jobs that would fetch more$ even 10 years ago

Attachments

• IMG_20130813_120103_144.jpg
    IMG_20130813_120103_144.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20130724_162836_718.jpg
    IMG_20130724_162836_718.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20130509_163325_066.jpg
    IMG_20130509_163325_066.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 174
By Day: Work for a Medical Device Manufacturer (stents, pacemakers, etc) in Compliance Assurance/Auditing

By Night: I am Batman:D

....really it's anything else I can get my hands on and I have the gumption to try!

I am responsible for the North American operations of a German tool manufacturer, specializing in fastening tools (screwdrivers, ratchets, wrenches, etc.), that usually have some pretty neat features involved... Anyone ever heard of Wera?

Fire trucks. Nice. Do you guys still "gild" the lettering with real gold leaf?

Unfortunately not that much anymore. It just costs so much compared to gold leaf vinyl (Sign Gold vinyl is 23 karat gold made into a cuttable vinyl film). It looks awesome when done well but costs a few arms and a few legs. I have done a few myself... wish I could do more.

The local habitat for humanity store had new WERA screwdrivers for $6 per set a while ago. That might be what a lot of people got for christmas from me that year.....
The green ones are around here somewhere too.

Attachments

• L1030132.jpg
    L1030132.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 205
reading this thread makes me realise just how tough it is out there to make a living , especially for a family man with responsibilities.

i was fortunate enough to semi retire 4x years ago to be a full time carer for my 90 yr old Father who is disabled and has dementia.

I'm not sure now at 63 I could get a job at all here in the UK. Fortunately I am a bit of an entrepreneur so I could probably survive by doing some wheeling and dealing or start up a small business but I then don't have a family to support or a big mortgage.

Back