XS650 FEST & CHOPOFF "2016" (Chop It - Build It- Bring it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense... The curves won't really go with my square backbone anyway...
Ah yeah, sticking with the plan is best lol! Your frame looks badass. I also like the jig supports. I probably should've done that haha! Maybe my frame will match my seat.....banana.

My start picked this bike up in OK last year already had dual 19in mag conversion and tail hoop cut off. going to use these cast aluminum ignition covers. and donated my swing arm to RANGER LEATHER to test his 3in swing arm extensions out.

Attachments

• IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2974.jpg
    IMG_2974.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 267
My start picked this bike up in OK last year already had dual 19in mag conversion and tail hoop cut off. going to use these cast aluminum ignition covers. and donated my swing arm to RANGER LEATHER to test his 3in swing arm extensions out.

Bout time you entered!

A few new pics, build is coming along, but three new snags in the build... one of the reasons why we should have called this bike "Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back".

Snag 1 - the brake rotor is about 2mm too wide and rubs on the shoulder bolts of the springer, and keeps the wheel from being true center - so need to go with a smaller diameter rotor.

Snag 2 - See picture below, the internal fork stops in the springer are cast aluminum and not easily modified, and let the forks go 1mm too far - the springer plate barely touches the frame, but it's boogering up the paint. You can see the boogered paint on the frame. dammitall. Since disassembling and adding metal to the cast aluminum is a no-go, it's time for Plan B.

full

[sorry, couldn't get 2 pics in the same post, so continuing in 2nd one]

Snag 3 - Fixed this one, the K&N RC-0982 Motorcycle Universal Chrome Air Filters just didn't fit, they were rubbing. I found some shorty velocity stacks, and I love this look!
full

Here is the bike with tank and seat mocked up. Drum mag rear wheel and disc mag front.
Seat is a Biltwell Slimline that took a bit of head scratching before I figured out the mounting.

Attachments

• SAM_2617.JPG
    SAM_2617.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 274
  • SAM_2620.JPG
    SAM_2620.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 309
What kind of rectangle lights are those? Still have them?

Just a tip... if you hit the button in the bottom right corner of the post you're commenting on that looks like a quotation mark, folks will know which comment you're referencing.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark you're talking about the 2 lights I have pictured in my first parts photo?

If so, they are Hella backup lights off of a 1967 VW Beetle (I think). I do still have them, but I'm reconsidering whether I'll run them or not. I don't know that they'll go with the front end I'm now planning on using.

If so, they are Hella backup lights off of a 1967 VW Beetle (I think). I do still have them, but I'm reconsidering whether I'll run them or not. I don't know that they'll go with the front end I'm now planning on using.

Thanks for the tip! Yes, those are the lights I was talking about. The lights I put on my front end were OMG way too big, just ordered some Hella 128s that I hope will be the right size. If not, I might be looking to buy your lights, if you're selling.

Any idea how many watts those are? I'm guessing 35.

Here is my march update! I have been working on my electronics tank, and with having the convenience of turn signals, dash lights, high and low beams, and making it look clean, I have had my hands full designing my system! I think I finally got my 5lbs of crap in my 1lb box, and it doesn't look half bad. still fairly simplistic looking on the exterior. Hoping tonight to finish up the wiring and get her to fire this week, then i can get my tear down rockin' for paint and powdercoat. I paid my buddy with corned beef and cabbage, and delicious beer on St. Patricks day to weld my ignition mount in that I turned on the lathe. Here are my Pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 264
March Update = I've been Aquiring Parts until now, I have maybe 90-95% of the parts I need.
I'm planning on doing all my Fab work in April and May including finally building my Powdercoat Oven, June is Paint and Powder month and July is wiring and work out bugs.
At least thats my plan. Will have pic's from now on for updates, I'll do a separate thread on my powdercoat oven build, I've had about 99% of the parts for that for the last year plus just laying around waiting.

147 DAYS!!!!!

Last edited:
All is still a go for this event.
Have most of the parts I need to finish the bike.
This is where it is at the moment.

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 260
April updates................Craig :)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg