$100 harbor freight welder

thatguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey there every one i was just wondering if this would be a good welder to use on, fender mounting situations and brake anchor rod tabs??P.S. i wont be using this to weld up my frame or anything

also if any one has used it in the past, if they could show some pics that would be awesome.

I used one for a year or so a few years back...they will weld, fluxcore is dirty stuff but if u put Lincoln wire in it it'll do ok. Tabs and bungs is about all you'll get out of it. Buy an angle grinder and a flap disc.... Your gonna need it for clean up Lol.

uploadfromtaptalk1356175821420.jpg welded scrap

uploadfromtaptalk1356175886364.jpg my argon was out so this seat mount was fixed with a mig

I'd never go back to one.... But the price was right at the time, I fell in love with welding, ended up going back to school for my certs because of one and now flash forward a few years I still love welding but do it with a tig now.... So for me it was the best $100 I ever spent lol

uploadfromtaptalk1356176347449.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1356176398745.jpg
Tig welded pieces to compare to...

What thickness will it handle? To weld the brake anchor you need about 6mm?
A basic mig will handle those jobs easy enough, just look for max thickness and duty cycle. Practice on lots of scrap before you tackle anything important. Grind it back to make sure you're getting full penetration welds.

Oh and for flux core get some anti-splatter spray and a flap disc for the grinder!

thanks for the info,
i was wondering about the duty cycle can any one tell me what they would use to do it??
what grit of flap disk should i get?
would a wire brush work?

Back