16's front and rear?

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, new guy here... Building a hardtail 650. Wondering if anyone has bought 16 inch 36 spoke rims and ran them (front and rear) on their bike? Obviously the rear shouldn't be much trouble, but I'd like to buy a 16 in. hoop and lace it to my stock rear hub (drum brake, 1972 model) and THEN, buy and lace a 16 in. hoop to my stock front disc hub and run it on my stock width front end (disc brake, 1972 model). Pretty basic question I guess, but...? THANKS! Madjap

Did you manage to pull this off? I am looking to do something similar but it looks like a special hoop may be needed.

No. No, I didn't. I got slapped around so much for even TALKING about it, I gave up. I was planning on lacing my own front wheel, but I'm not mechanical enough from what I was hearing, regarding rear rims are off-set and the spokes would be different, etc. You'd think it would be pretty straight forward, but it didn't SOUND like it, so... Give it a try, spend some money and let ME KNOW if it worked!!!

The rear spoked rim on a special is 16"/36 spokes. It's wider than the 18" rear...but I couldn't tell you off hand by how much. Theoretically, I don't see why you couldn't take that same hoop and put it up front and re-lace to the front hub. You'd likely need some custom spokes made up to fit the front/wonder if the angles would be off too. Also, the width may be an issue....but won't know until you try. If I had a my 16" rim, I'd measure it for you...but I sold it a long time back.

Good luck!

No. No, I didn't. I got slapped around so much for even TALKING about it, I gave up.

Bullshit, just not true...........

Go and check out the thread you started when you asked the same question. Lots of help given and even an example where someone posted a pic for you. You just never got back and finished your thread.

Bullshit, just not true...........

Go and check out the thread you started when you asked the same question. Lots of help given and even an example where someone posted a pic for you. You just never got back and finished your thread.

My my! WHEW! I've met some TOUGH typists in my time, but you have GOT to be the toughest. I'll likely be a little scared to even turn on my computer from now on! I was TRYING to tell Mach that there's a lot more to this topic than meets the eye, -and if he reads all the info I read when I was thinking about doing it -he WILL get an eyeful. Not sure where it's hidden, but somewhere someone finally asked me if I was SURE I wanted to even TRY this because of all the customizing of spokes and issues with that idea.

My my! WHEW! I've met some TOUGH typists in my time, but you have GOT to be the toughest. I'll likely be a little scared to even turn on my computer from now on! I was TRYING to tell Mach that there's a lot more to this topic than meets the eye, -and if he reads all the info I read when I was thinking about doing it -he WILL get an eyeful. Not sure where it's hidden, but somewhere someone finally asked me if I was SURE I wanted to even TRY this because of all the customizing of spokes and issues with that idea.

No, sorry...I generally stay clear of conflict, as most forums have mis-read meanings and such... and quite frankly, it's too easy to get all twisted up and heated for little things that don't tend to help anyone.

Does 650Skull get into skirmishes from time to time? Sure, but I have found his initial responses to be very helpful more often than not...is he direct and to the point? Yep...and that may come off as gruff or taken personally...

But I have to disagree with you here, and take a little offense at the notion that you were beat up for even suggesting the idea of a 16" rim front/back...pretty sure you got the exact same feedback from me and those that replied on your original post...all being relatively helpful.

650 Skull is "Tough" for calling you out? I don't think so...at least not based on your original post.

Forums allow for a lot of different personalities to add to the conversation...it's what makes it fun. Hopefully, people get that it's about sharing info, and supporting the common interest of these bikes and not get hung up on the differences of the people that are a part of the group.

Hi madjap,
to be fair, Skull is a very knowledgeable and helpful list member and only flips into his curmudgeon mode if he thinks that your ideas are wrong, dangerous or different than his own.
He is not alone in this.
But back to your 16" front wheel.
Any fool can lace up a wheel, I know because I've done it.
A wise fool takes "before" photos and is prepared to de-lace and start over.
What rim width you got in mind? Wider rims take fatter tires and there's limits to the tire width to front fork fit-up.
My guess is that a 110/80-16 is the fattest tire that will fit inside the fender.
[edit] jamesgs4's link shows sean's ugly bobber with what seems to be a 130/90-16 tire up front but the front fender had to go before the tire would fit in the forks. [end edit]
Assuming you've built a 16" front with a 110/80-16 tire on it.
Have you thought about what it'll do to the bike's handling?
In theory it'll lower the front which will reduce the front wheel trail which will quicken the steering.
If that's what you want, go for it.

Last edited:

Maybe you were trying to come off in a humerus manner. ............. It came off as saying, you were ridiculed for asking a question.

Here is a link to that thread............. My first post to you has some merit now

Hi madjap,
to be fair, Skull is a very knowledgeable and helpful list member and only flips into his curmudgeon mode if he thinks that your ideas are wrong, dangerous or different than his own.
He is not alone in this.

And i will call you out on this as :bs: as well

I stand corrected. Lacing that 16" front wheel to the 650 front hub should be a piece of cake. I'll defer and let someone else explain the simplicity of it to young Machstang. My apologies to anyone that was offended when I posted. The picture(s) posted of the bike with the 16" on it's front should be answer enough for anyone wanting to do it but I suspect the kid was wondering HOW to do it and quite honestly I am too inept to tell him. For those backing 650Skull, you were right and you won - I shouldn't have involved myself at all and likely will just hang back now. This site is one of the best I've used. The only defense I have is; I read topic after topic on this lacing 16" fronts at the time and what I was TRYING to relay in this post was that I read enough and so much from so many different posters that my eyes hurt, my ears were ringing, I felt like I'd been thru research hell and finally gave up even considering it. As I re-read my original comment I see where it sounded bad. Thanks for all the comments and you can now help Machstang as I think he would like some detailed info on how he can lace a 16" rim to his front hub...

And i will call you out on this as :bs: as well

Hi Skull,
well, of course you will, I'd be surprised if you ever held back from doing so.
One has a reputation to uphold, after all.
BTW a correspondent on one of my lists has an appropriate signature tag line:-
I am a rhinoceros and my hide is very thick.

I stand corrected. Lacing that 16" front wheel to the 650 front hub should be a piece of cake. I'll defer and let someone else explain the simplicity of it to young Machstang. My apologies to anyone that was offended when I posted. The picture(s) posted of the bike with the 16" on it's front should be answer enough for anyone wanting to do it but I suspect the kid was wondering HOW to do it and quite honestly I am too inept to tell him. .

.For those backing 650Skull, you were right and you won - I shouldn't have involved myself at all and likely will just hang back now. This site is one of the best I've used. The only defense I have is; I read topic after topic on this lacing 16" fronts at the time and what I was TRYING to relay in this post was that I read enough and so much from so many different posters that my eyes hurt, my ears were ringing, I felt like I'd been thru research hell and finally gave up even considering it. As I re-read my original comment I see where it sounded bad. .

No winner or looser from my point of view. Don't get disheartened, keep posting every one has something to say, in fact you explained in the paragraph above very well. I get you on the research for information and how it does the head in, picking a bit here and there and reading through threads and threads for that one post that relates to your interest.

Thanks for all the comments and you can now help Machstang as I think he would like some detailed info on how he can lace a 16" rim to his front hub...

Hi Skull,
well, of course you will, I'd be surprised if you ever held back from doing so.
One has a reputation to uphold, after all.
BTW a correspondent on one of my lists has an appropriate signature tag line:-
I am a rhinoceros and my hide is very thick.

Trolling is an art form and you are getting it down pat.
If your weren't trolling then there would have been no need mention me at all in your first post.

I will not be responding in this thread again

I reached out to wiseguy today. From their reply it is a standard front wheel with a 16 inch xs hoop. They had a wheel builder assemble it and said most shops should have the required spokes. I plan on reaching out to buchanans next to see if they can supply the spokes.

Trolling is an art form and you are getting it down pat.
If your weren't trolling then there would have been no need mention me at all in your first post. - - -

Hi Skull,
I'm surprised that you didn't realize that I was defending you.
And me, a Troll? (I had to look it up) I am in denial.
If I'm to be compared to a mythical creature I prefer the North American pantheon to the Scandinavian.
I'll accept comparison to the Fool Killer.

No winner or looser from my point of view. Don't get disheartened, keep posting every one has something to say, in fact you explained in the paragraph above very well. I get you on the research for information and how it does the head in, picking a bit here and there and reading through threads and threads for that one post that relates to your interest.

Thanks 650Skull... I appreciate that!

Back