1978 front master cylinder

john1c

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a picture of my front master cylinder. Does it look right to you guys? You'll notice that I can completely turn/spin the plastic reservoir separate from the metal bottom portion. Is it time to get a new MC?

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 112
i think i will replace it if it's not suppose to do that -- even if it doesn't leak.

so the question is, does the reservoir come that way from the factory or did mine separate?

i think i will replace it if it's not suppose to do that -- even if it doesn't leak.

so the question is, does the reservoir come that way from the factory or did mine separate?

It should pull out and you should find a oring that seals it to the lower housing .they are rebuildable if you can find a seal kit .The orings in the kits are special for brake fluid they are different from mineral oil based hydraulic systems

Mikes xs has kits but they dont apear to have the resoivoir seal .They also have a complete mc #08-0255 for 76.00$.It looks like it is a1 piece not having a removable resoivoir

It is just spinning in the o ring. Like Gary said, if it isn't leaking at the base to casting zone then it will be held in place with the cover screws. I wanted to pull mine off to paint the casting but didn't want to hassle with finding the new o ring. If anyone has a line on where to get them let us know. I just saw my paint job ending up costing me $100. New master...

lol, Mikes aftermarket MC's are NOW $76. As of just this weekend they were only $69!
Guess we better buy 'em before they're $85! or $95!

I'm having second thoughts on replacing the whole MC. So I filled the reservoir with brake fluid and it leaked a little but that's before I put the bolts on. I'm sure once the 4 bolts are on, it'll be tight. Do you think I am good to go and safe? Or should I go back to original plan of getting a new master cylinder?

lol, Mikes aftermarket MC's are NOW $76. As of just this weekend they were only $69!
Guess we better buy 'em before they're $85! or $95!

I'm looking at some to carry here at Hugh's HandBuilt. They should be well under $62.00 shipped if all goes to plan... Just a thought :thumbsup:

I'm looking at some to carry here at Hugh's HandBuilt. They should be well under $62.00 shipped if all goes to plan... Just a thought :thumbsup:

This. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Honestly, the price hikes at Mikes (made a rhyme) just makes it easier to buy from MMM. Bet they didn't foresee that when they raised the prices that much.

Back