1979 XS650 Build

Spike

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thought I'd share my first xs build. I'm new to the forum, but I've found a ton of good tech info on these bikes, so thanks!

This has been somewhat of a budged build, but I bought this thing about 3 months ago stock and since I've added the clip ons from mikes, pandemonium exhaust, had a buddy make the taillight bracket for me, the LED Model A taillight is from speedwaymotors, along with braided brake lines, exhaust wrap, and a 7" tri-bar headlight.

Ordered the seat from motolanna, moved the stock rear fender forward a bit and currently I'm working on shortening the stock front fender.

I'll try to add some more photos of the build as I go!

10257145_10152076993972775_3514155842247568499_n.jpg

Very Nice!
I'm curious about what you needed to do to adapt the seat to fit. Looks sweet!

Nice fender mod, too.

Just bought a 1978 XS650E a couple weeks back and am looking to make similar mods. Gotta get it sorted out before the mods, however. I see a lot of great mods/resources on this site.

John

Very Nice!
I'm curious about what you needed to do to adapt the seat to fit. Looks sweet!

Nice fender mod, too.

Just bought a 1978 XS650E a couple weeks back and am looking to make similar mods. Gotta get it sorted out before the mods, however. I see a lot of great mods/resources on this site.

John
You don't need to do very much to make a '78 E look good , you can buy a few bits & pieces that bolt right on for a custom look . Just by cutting the stems down ( a couple of inches) my stock signal lights made my bike look better and didn't cost anything . Same goes for that bike in this thread, just by shortening his stock fender gave his bike a more aggressive profile and cost nothing .

If I was building up a '78 E (lol I am too lol ) I would start with tuning, upgrade the ignition if it hasn't already been done and replacing/ improving all worn out parts (bearings/bushings ) , then on to brakes , replace the old stuff , get new braided lines , tires ( if needed ) , upgrade the suspension ( not hard to improve on the stock stuff) .

After all that has been done , a few simple add ons/ take offs and you have a real motorcycle .

I agree the "E" is very nice as is. I had a 1974 Norton Commando Roadster for years and the xs650E reminds me of that old bike a lot. Currently working on the rear axle, swing arm, rims, brakes, etc…and lots of polishing and cleaning. Then on to the front axle, rims, brakes, forks. Of course, need to get it running right…and finally, the mods.

A lot of the mods you've done to yours are things I will most likely be doing to mine. Thankfully, I have a second bike that I ride regularly, so I can work on the 650 as time and money allows.

John

I belong to a vintage bike club , lot's of old brit bike owners would love to have my bike . You can make a Norton clone out of an XS, just by bolting on the commando exhaust you are halfway there, or an SR500 makes a nice Norton Manx lookalike , anyway, you can get that custom look without destroying the frame.

Back