1981 xs650 (first bike)

NAWG

Newb!
Reaction score
Hey, name is Chris

I pick up my first bike yesterday and am looking forward to learning all about it!
I bought this as a starter bike. Im having another 81 being built for me(bratstyle) by a friend out of state. My plan is to learn on this(how to ride as well as fix) one and then restore it or chop it when I have my brat in June. This site feels like a great resource of information, so thanks in advance for any and all help with my new hobby.

- welcome...you chose a great bike to learn with...theyre pretty forgiving once you sort out a couple of problems, such as swingarm bushes, steeringhead bearings, oil filter-if they havent already been done...you will need a multimeter in your tool box...have fun learning about clutches, electrics, carbs and kickstarting
- a couple of good places to start...here and here

Thanks for the greetings

I read both of those post before I went to pick the bike up(4hrs away) VERY helpful!
The owner burned about 400 calories trying to kick start the bike:( when it did start it sputtered an back fired quite a bit. The carbs looked corroded and the gas had been sitting in the bike for 9 months...covered outside in DC through all these winter storms.
Im hoping new gas and a freshly cleaned carb will fix this*crosses fingers*. The tank has a little rust in it but doesnt look bad. I read that I need to clean out the tank but Im not sure how to bo that. I need to do a LOT more research but its going to be a fun project!

You WILL learn a lot. I have learned quite a bit from the more experienced members around here.And still learning more. I have not been riding my whole life like some of these guys. Read a lot. It is nice to have one to ride while wrenching on another. Don't know what I'd do if I didn't. Did I say Welcome? :thumbsup:

And don't toss that luggage rack away. Someone will want that.

- you may find some info on tank cleaning below...fit an in line filter as well
- here
- or here
Thanks again! see I knew I joined the right site:)

Think Im gonna look at autozone for the Acid method stuff....and an in line filter, not sure if it has one already.

You WILL learn a lot. I have learned quite a bit from the more experienced members around here.And still learning more. I have not been riding my whole life like some of these guys. Read a lot. It is nice to have one to ride while wrenching on another. Don't know what I'd do if I didn't. Did I say Welcome? :thumbsup:

And don't toss that luggage rack away. Someone will want that.
I turn 32 at the end of March and I just decided I wanted a street bike:) bit of a late bloomer I guess.

My plan is to learn on this(how to ride as well as fix) one and then restore it or chop it when I have my brat in June. This site feels like a great resource of information, so thanks in advance for any and all help with my new hobby.

Welcome Chris! People must be getting spring fever already, lots of people picking up new (to them) bikes lately.

Sounds like you're going to have to do a little fixing before you learn to ride. Hopefully with the help of the members here and a little work, you'll have that bike back on the road in no time. :bike:

Welcome Chris! People must be getting spring fever already, lots of people picking up new (to them) bikes lately.

Sounds like you're going to have to do a little fixing before you learn to ride. Hopefully with the help of the members here and a little work, you'll have that bike back on the road in no time. :bike:
Thanks,
I bought some seafoam and a carb cleaning bucket thing that looks like a can of paint thinner. Armed with a Haynes and(thanks to pumps) a shop manual, I should have Clean carbs by tomorrow:)

So I talked A seabee at work into trading computer work for rebuilding my carbs(with me helping/learning)

My question is, when we start pulling things off to get the carbs off is their anything else that commonly worn out that I should also replace?
bolts, grommets, random rubber/plastic pieces or gaskets?

One thing you should inspect carefully for cracks or deterioration is the carb boots or holders which go between the carbs and the head. Holes or cracks will let air in, be a vacuum leak and cause a lean condition.
Fuel lines might need replaced.Get some inline filters. Petcocks rebuilt with new kits...the list is long on an old bike. Almost everything rubber is gonna be rotted to a certain extent.
You have a link to the carb giude . It will tell you what parts to replace in the carbs.

Back