1981 XS650 Special - Build Thread

I won't be the "Debbie Downer" here...:thumbsdown:
Yes, I will.... sorry. Nice display piece. There is a good chance the protection that bucket offers is significantly diminished 45 years later. Cheers.
Well Debbie... may I call you Debs? :wink2:
Debs... in a state where it's perfectly legal to forgo the helmet, we're now at degrees of protection.
Bronson's wool watchman's cap is better than no helmet. At least it'll help soak up some blood.
A "beanie" helmet's good enough for most cops.
Full coverage... full face, chin guard.... all varying degrees of protection.
An old helmet like he has ain't as good as a new full face. On the other hand, it beats the hell outta Bronson's wool cap. Somewhere's in the middle I reckon.
We all get to decide what's an acceptable risk, as individuals... it's the 'Merican way. :smoke:

Well Debbie... may I call you Debs? :wink2:
Debs... in a state where it's perfectly legal to forgo the helmet, we're now at degrees of protection.
Bronson's wool watchman's cap is better than no helmet. At least it'll help soak up some blood.
A "beanie" helmet's good enough for most cops.
Full coverage... full face, chin guard.... all varying degrees of protection.
An old helmet like he has ain't as good as a new full face. On the other hand, it beats the hell outta Bronson's wool cap. Somewhere's in the middle I reckon.
We all get to decide what's an acceptable risk, as individuals... it's the 'Merican way. :smoke:
@Jim, Just call me MRS Debora. thank you. :laughing: I had not known helmets deteriorated over time until it was mentioned here on this forum. Unlikely, but @ssjody could be as naive as me so I brought it up. Side note. My son @Ben1 asked about "lids" in re what the "protocol" was for Yamaha 650 Society rally rides when he was preparing for joining the fall Smokies rally, 2022. My only experience was Ozarks 2022 and told him we all wear helmets. He rode his Harleys sans lid since he was 20 or 21. His wife was ecstatic to see him in a lid. Truth be told it could be argued I should not wear a lid because a mild get-off could be life ending minor injuries... Big philosophical discussion, but I do wear an old garage sale open face :)laughing:) around town and short regional rides.

I won't be the "Debbie Downer" here...:thumbsdown:
Trust me, it's just a conversation piece. I want to give this senior biker model, money maker face of mine that Fabio would be jealous of as much protection as possible! Now, my wife, soon as I opened the box was emphatic that I should be wearing it. That's when I knew using it was a bad idea. 🤣

I had a pretty bad wreck in 2016 wearing a half helmet. I hit my head hard enough to render me unconscious and erase all memory of the accident. I just happed to land on the part of my head that was protected by the helmet. That continued to be the case as I went bouncing down the road. Am I saying that a half helmet is all you ever need? Not at all.

Beautiful day for a ride! Bike never missed a beat!
IMG_4609.jpeg

Day 163 - The wife and I been working on building this new house for the past 8 months. Finally got moved into the new space. My plans are to build me a nice shop in the basement with an area to work on bikes. I'll be busy for the next month or so getting everything setup for the wife, then it's my time! The bike is doing great, been riding the wheels off of it every chance I get. Can't wait to get the shop setup so I can dive into the things I've been putting off till I got moved and setup in the new place.

Back