1981 XS650 SH Problem

Jet, exactly what kind of failure did the dielectric grease cause?
I experienced an overheated connector coming from the stator on my bike. One pin on both sides damaged and the plastic melted. At an XS1100 rally near Lake George, NY, my friend Phil from Mississauga experienced alternator failure on a Sunday in an out of the way place. I went straight for the connector from the stator that one of Phil's friends had replaced just before the rally. I found it black, melting and packed with silicon grease. Fortunately, a couple in a '32 Ford street rod happened by and had what we needed to splice those wires together. His XS1100H finished the day and made it home to Mississauga. When Phil saw what happened, he said, "I'm drinking your Kool-Aid, Marty."
Many electrical wizards whom I respect are in disagreement with me and that's OK. I just feel the need to point out, especially to those with less knowledge, that this stuff is an insulator and can possibly cause an issue. It can not make a bad connection better, but it can make a bad connection worse. @5twins, I know you operate with full understanding of all things XS650 and beyond, so stepping on your toes is not my intent. I just believe that many, including myself take your word here as gospel, so I feel the need to put my dissenting opinion on here, whether or not it is heeded.

No problem. Maybe packing the stuff in there could cause a problem. I just brush a coating on.

No problem. Maybe packing the stuff in there could cause a problem. I just brush a coating on.
Absolutely! You make my point in that you know better. I think Fomoco packs it into connectors on new cars (so I was told so I have avoided taking anything loose). I dread taking one apart. I know why they do it. If the car doesn't break during it's normal life it has done its job.

BTW, I had a '98 Moto Guzzi. It was built with weatherproof connectors. :bike:

Jet, exactly what kind of failure did the dielectric grease cause?
I'll offer my experience. Most, if not all the aviation shops I worked at banned it... not allowed. The grease allows particulates to stick to the contacts. Those particulates then absorb moisture which can lead to shorting between contacts. It was mostly a concern in capacitance fuel quantity systems that were susceptible to high resistance shorts, but it was forbidden on any electrical system. So... I've no real experience with it other than that... just a long career where it was drilled into our heads not to use it.

I guess I would be remiss if I did not offer an alternative to silicone grease. Deoxit

Best purchased on eBay in my experience. It is rather expensive.

As you were.
The expense of it prompted me to find its origins, and I discovered that it was originally a 5% solution of oleic acid in a naptha carrier.
I made some up a couple of years ago (the oleic acid is really cheap) and applied to various connectors over the next few months, cleaning it off afterwards with a blast of carb cleaner. None of the connections I cleaned up with it have given any further trouble, but it's early days yet.
However, the best thing is the price :)

Interesting read from experienced people
I have been into " C*ap " bikes ..of different types.
At times not knowing if they will run at all and at times with parts being difficult to find.
I is very rare that the wire itself has been broken.. It is in a connector / or ignition / lock Switches
or so
I have used the method to grind or scrape to metal surface and then apply copper grease
I have in later years heard that that is not good. But I have good experiences with it.
It establishes contact and I believe keep water out of connectors.
It can be the grinding ..But sometimes it is difficult to do a Fault finding on these type bikes
It can stop at the corner next rainy day
But half a day or so open the connectors and do the above
and one has a level from which it is possible to work on.
I have at times put on to much causing problems ,, but i have also fixed problems
That could have been difficult to localize.
The fuse that blows once every 14 days
The engine stop once a month. .It works for me

I also use rather much gasket chemicals ..Have tried to cut back on it .. getting leaks and needed to do it over again
So I slop on liberally ..better safe than sorry.

Well, I think when it comes to gasket sealer, slopping it on all over the place is more times sorry than safe, lol.

Back