1983 XS650 Project

shade

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am about to begin work on an 83 XS650 that has been sitting in a garage since the early 90's. I bought the bike used in high school only to find the carburetors were destroyed. I messed around with it for a while and then moved on.
I recently came across a CB550 where I live in in NYC and managed to get it going though it had been sitting for about 10 years outside, and I am interested in working in the XS650.
I recently purchased some used carbs and sent them out to be setup, they are now on the bike. I've removed the rust from the gas tank, and about a month ago poured a bit of oil into each cylinder. I have new spark plugs, and a new battery.

I have very little experience with motorcycles so I will be asking you guys for help along the way, or if you even think this bike has a chance. It's got low mileage and is in good condition.

I plan on changing the oil tomorrow where do I start after that?

Thanks

You may have the moxie to get her running. How many miles on her?
Like Paul sez....post some pics. The Heritage Specials have some unique differences from the other models and are a good platform for resto mods.

I've got the carbs back on the bike.
Changed the oil, new spark plugs etc...
I put the new battery on and the lights work, but the bike wont even turn over. I want to get it to turn over before I put any gas in the tank, in case it sits for a while.

Attachments

• xs650_1.jpg
    xs650_1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 412
I just went out and tried to use the kick starter and it wouldn't budge.
I imagine that this is pretty bad.

Seized engine? Were you aware of that when you got it or is this something new?

All is not lost.
I bought my low mileage '77 knowing that the engine was seized, and I freed her up without tearing it down and it runs like a top.
Pull the plugs and put about 4 ounces of penetrating oil in each cylinder. I used Marvel Mystery Oil which has a unique smell to it. Let it sit for a few days to a week and then take a breaker bar with the appropriate socket to the crank bolt on the lower left side of the engine. I gave mine some shock whacks with a rubber mallet to the bar and after a few whacks she spun clear. You may get the same experience. DO NOT try to unseize her by jumping on the kickstarter or you'll fuck something up.

I had a '76 about 12 years ago that was seized when I got it and I also was able to get it free with Marvels. We put some in each cylinder let it sit a few days, put some more in each cylinder let it sit for a few more and then put it in second gear and rocked it back and forth a few times and it started to move so we just kept at it until we could get it to turn a few revolutions this way. After we got it turning we put some motor oil in the cylinders let that sit a few days, flushed the crank case, cleaned the carbs and filled them with gas, hooked up a charged battery and kicked it over a few times and she started up. So the point of my rambling is that as nj says all is not lost and Marvels Mystery Oil is some amazing stuff.

Prolly worth your while to pull the jugs at least after you get her freed up. Mine was the same but i went to hell with the joke and split the cases to see what it looked like. Glad i pulled the cylinders at least cause it needed a bore job. Never fired it up yet but it sure is purdy.

My brother-in-law and I just freed up a stuck xs650 engine with marvels mystery oil as well. We put a couple tea spoons worth in each cylinder, let it sit about a week, then when went to kick it, it was still stuck, but after bumping the kicker a few times (spark plugs out), it suddenly let loose shooting the oil out the spark plug holes all over the place. Now she spins very easily.

When I got the bike many, many years ago we got it running. I guess all those years sitting in the garage did some damage. I added some marvels mystery oil to the cylinders yesterday and will let it sit.
Thanks

The Marvels Mystery Oil seems to have worked, I am able to move the kick starter. I am tempted to put a little gas in and see what happens.
What do you think?

I think you may have the moxie to pull this off!
Check compression and see where you're at. My '77 had 85 psi give or take on both cylinders after freeing her up. If they're close in compression then go ahead and see if you can start her up. If they're way off then you may have a ring issue or stuck valve. Chances are good that you'll have to pull the carbs and clean the circuits at least.

Mine runs fine without having to get into the engine......seems the rings have reset after running, which is what they may do as I understand it.
Baby steps.

The Carbs have already been redone and put back on the bike.
Can I do a compression test without the bike running?
Thanks

I was going to put the gas tank back on but I'm confused. I thought this was the fuel line but it has a piece of metal in it that won't fit on the fuel valve on the petcock. The carbs are from a different bike so maybe I should remove this metal piece.
xs650fuelline.jpg

xs650petcock.jpg

Pic #1 is the fuel line from the petcock to the carbs. That piece of metal in the end is the fitting that goes into the petcock. It plugs into the big hole in the rear of your petcock.
Pic #2 is your petcock and that small barb is where the vaccum line hooks. There should be a barb like that sticking out of your left side carb holder, the rubber part between the engine and carb.
Well there should be one of those barb in both the left and right carb holder. The left hooks to the petcock, the right is capped off.
That petcock is vaccum operated. In the ON and RES or reserve positions fuel only runs to the carbs when the engine is running. The third position on the petcock, the PRI is a prime position and bypasses the vaccum part. in this position fuel flows without the engine running.
When you start the bike use the PRI position, once running turn to On, or if the tank is very low the RES.
The petcock has two tubes that go up into the tank. One is very short, one about 1.5 inches long. With a full tank you put the petcock to ON, ride the bike, at some point the fuel level in the tank drops below the long tube and the bike sputters and dies. At this point turn the petcock to RES, fuel will now flow out the short tube so you can get to the gas station for more fuel.
Leo

Checked compression by repeatedly activating the kick starter. Both cylinders read about 100 psi. However I performed a spark test and don't seem to be getting spark.

Volt/ohm meter and a light probe to start tracking down power. The '83 also has a few safety features that won't allow you to start unless you cross your t's and dot your i's.

The first thing I would check is for power at the red/white wires at the TCI box and coil. This power should be the same as battery voltage, with in about .2 or .3 volts. Much less and you probably have dirty connections somewhere or the key switch or engine stop switch has dirty contacts.
There are several safety devices to prevent things like driving around with the sidestand down or trying to start it in gear.
The side stand switch often gets a lot of road crud in it and can go bad. Under the side cover you will find a sidestand relay. it has blue/yellow wire, a black wire, a black/white wire and a red/white wire. Just unplug the relay.
The rest of the safety stuff just prevents the e-start from working. They don't prevent spark. That way you can kick start it.
There is a Starting circuit cut relay. This relay uses signals from the neutral light and clutch switch to tell when the bikes in neutral or the clutch lever is pulled in. If the relay gets the right signals it lets power flow from the safety relay to the starter relay.
Leo

I am waiting for the Haines manual to arrive because I am pretty clueless. The bike is now turning over when I press the start button but not actually starting up. When I figure out what the TCI Box and coil are, I will start there.
Thanks for the help.

Back