1983 XS650 Project

Checked compression by repeatedly activating the kick starter. Both cylinders read about 100 psi. However I performed a spark test and don't seem to be getting spark.

Remember that when you check for spark, be sure to ground the plugs or you may damage your coil.

Good Luck and keep at it !

It seems I was mistaken. Now that I am able to do the spark test with the starter I can see that the bike IS getting spark. Both cylinders.

It seems I was mistaken. Now that I am able to do the spark test with the starter I can see that the bike IS getting spark. Both cylinders.

This bike is a lot different than the cb550 I last worked on. I can't seem to figure anything out. I guess there are no points?
If someone wants to offer some advice to a total newbie I would love the help. I don't understand how to trace down the electrical problems etc. I don't really even know how my volt meter works.
I have compression and spark but nothing else.

Get a Haynes or Clymer manual.....get both of them and then there's a download somewhere in the forum too. Read the instructions for the meter. You'll be using he d.c. setting for the most part, maybe the short tone in the ohms if it has that feature and the ohms setting too for checking the charging system components. Gotta learn how to do these things or pay through the nose for someone else to do it for you, and even then most likely not done well . These bikes are mechanically simple but a little more complex on the electrics for a lot of us.

I have the Haines Manual and still can't figure out what the problem is. The bike has compression and spark, and gas is getting to the carburetor. The carburetor was recently rebuilt, but I am wondering if a jet is clogged?
Could it be the timing and can anyone explain in the simplest terms possible how to check the timing on this bike? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• xs650.timing.jpg
    xs650.timing.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 145
The TCI is a fixed timing and if it ran before it should still be fixed unless you've moved the black pick up in the pic or you've had the cam out.
Check the plugs and see if they're wet with fuel.....mebbe spray a bit of starting fluid in and see if she'll cough. How's that battery? Fully charged?
Air, fuel and spark.

shade when the carbs were cleaned, could you SEE fluid coming from the idle circuit outlets?

I sent the carbs out because I had two incomplete sets that were combined.
The spark plugs were wet when I checked them after last start attempt.

Get a new set of plugs, get an oil can with a trigger lever, Fill oil can with gas. Put one or two squirts of gas in each plug hole. install the new plugs, try to start.
If it fires you know the ignition is working, and your carbs probably not.
If no fire then you need to look a bit more at the ignition.
You say good compression. How did you test the compression? If you just put a finger in the plug hole, that's not very good. Use a compression tester and report the readings.
Some parts stores have rental tools. Ask around you might rent one for the day for a few bucks.
Leo

I put in new plugs when I started the project, and used a compression tester to test compression. I will try putting gas directly into the cylinders.
Thanks

Have you tried changing the idle screw position? It's possible that the throttle is too far open or closed. Try adjusting the idle screw and see if you can get a change.

100 PSI is a bit low. The book calls for a minimum of 145 PSI. Your bike should run with it that low but not as well as it should.
Your bike having sat for 13 years the 100 psi is ok. It may improve after you get the bike running. Setting lets a bit of rust form on the cylinders and rings. This rust wears off quickly once the bikes running. Many have started out with compression at about the same as yours and it improved after a few hundred miles.
Try the gas in the spark plug holes. If it fires then your carbs need work. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help with your carbs.
Leo

We've never confirmed the voltage of the battery. OK, your lights come on but what's the battery's voltage. Are you kicking it or trying the starter?

The battery hasn't been charged in a day or two and is reading 13.0. I've been trying electric start and kick start.

That compression isn't helping you out any. Hit the plug holes with pb blaster and let it soak for a day or so. Gas in the cylinders sometimes doesn't work as well as a shot of starter fluid through the carbs with the butterflies open.

Back