2 questions about my stock forks that i am in the process of lowering

b1broc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
where do i put the oil in at right where i dropped the springs in?

is there an easy way to put a new set of seals in not dust covers but seals. Yes i do know to clean clean clean the surface that the new seals are going in.
thanks guys :thumbsup:

I always use a bit of oil on the seal itself, and they usually will push right in by hand. If not, you can use a large socket and a soft mallet to drive them in as well... Or a Round piece of wood, etc... Just make sure the OD of the socket/wood/whatever is close to the OD of the seal, you don't want to push on the soft flexible part of the seal.

And yes, add oil through the top cap. Lowered forks still use the same amount of fork oil as well

Yup, pour oil right in the top of the tube.
The dust covers will pop off, there's just a lip at the top of the fork lowers holding them on. If they are old and dry you might want soften them up with some wd-40, maybe hit them with a hair dryer to soften them up too. You will have to disassemble the forks to put the new seals in.

If not, you can use a large socket and a soft mallet to drive them in as well... Or a Round piece of wood, etc... Just make sure the OD of the socket/wood/whatever is close to the OD of the seal, you don't want to push on the soft flexible part of the seal.

Oh yeah, if you upgraded to tapered head bearings and have the old races laying around, they are great for pushing the seal in, perfect diameter and a wide surface area to press the seal in evenly.

hey thanks alot guys i know the oil question was kinda silly but i will just do it right the first time (Hugh) those lowering tubes are spot on man nice tight tolerences THANKS!

Back