2003 Royal Enfield 500 Deluxe

Today was the day. The Sun is out, and according to the meteorologists this is the first day of Spring.

Roads are covered in salt - where the sun has warmed the tarmac, there's white dust that comes up in clouds from your tyres, while in the shade there's a covering of damp slime. But went on-line and bought some road tax for the Bullet. So no more excuses - time to go for a proper ride. We'll head to the filling station, and we'll take the long route to get there. You dare-devil!

Thus far, two or three exploratory rides up and down the lane but this will mean tackling proper roads and proper traffic. And we'll be too far from the house to push the bike home if it sulks for any reason.

Wow, it's like your first time all over again. Riding a bike that is. Concentrate on right-foot, one-up & three-down. Left foot to brake, please. But by the time we're running on country roads in top gear with an indicated 80 kph, it feels just great bop, bop, bopping along. Filled the tank - bigger than I thought, or is that the soaring price of petrol?

PICT2820.JPG

After this, couple of small adjustments. Took a craft knife to the nylon wheel inside the throttle grip - wasn't sure it was letting the throttle shut all the way. After cutting some more away (already had to modify it to fit inside the new switchgear) there was the satisfying click of the slide going all the way down.

Of course, had to wash the bike, rinse with loads of water, try to remove the salt.

17 kilometres, which I make to be just over ten miles. But an adventure.

Loads of rain overnight so felt the roads were clean enough for another outing.

Only rode as far as the next village, then back along to the main road, then short stretch of A68 to loop back home. But AAAAARGH! The main road has just been freshly salted. Never mind, only a mile to reach home.

Washed the bike before shoving back in the garage:

PICT2821.JPG

Whatever, the bike performed fine. Bopped along at an indicated 80-85. That's kph and I don't quite believe the speedo even at that. Only found a few false neutrals today. Have learned that when you actually want neutral, best way is to employ the very handy neutral finder before coming to a stop.

Just another bit of the advance planning you need to ride this, uhm, charming museum piece?

I had a big single for many years, a Yamaha SR500. It was a neat bike but me being 6 foot, 200 pounds, just a little too small and under-powered for me. I couldn't get it over 80, lol. My 650 replaced it as my "local ride" and is so much better for me. Just a little bigger and heavier so it rides nice, and more power, lol.

I had a big single for many years, a Yamaha SR500. It was a neat bike but me being 6 foot, 200 pounds, just a little too small and under-powered for me. I couldn't get it over 80, lol. My 650 replaced it as my "local ride" and is so much better for me. Just a little bigger and heavier so it rides nice, and more power, lol.
Always interesting to compare different rides. Also had an SR500, many years ago. But comparing the Bullet with the XS650, the XS is bigger and heavier with more power - feels like a proper motorbike. The Bullet is fairly heavy - because it's small and leans a long way on the side stand, the heave needed to pull it upright takes you by surprise.

Translates into a nice, solid feel out on the road. Don't want to sound like an expert here, still only ridden the bike about thirty miles! And obviously, haven't pushed the engine or the handling at all. But with those narrow tyres, the bike certainly don't feel reluctant pushing into bends. When combined with the solid weight, low seat height and an upright riding position, you are given a very pleasant riding experience just chuffing along. Torquey, of course. Wouldn't feel right to rev the engine - there's no tachometer and it's not needed. Only four speeds, and that's all it needs. And at least a 4-speed box minimises the need to change gear.

False neutrals and losing your place in the gearbox, yes, but with practice and accepting that a gear change - shift - needs to be slow and deliberate I'm hoping to get better in that area. Finding neutral at a standstill still needs engine off. Best way is to use heel of right foot to depress the neutral finder lever while in second or third gear and coast up to junctions. And I haven't gained a lot of confidence in the front brake yet.

There's more available from the engine - apparently, you just keep sending cheques to Hitchcocks Motorcycles and rebuilding the engine to a higher spec. Plenty of time for that in the future. But right now, the Bullet is a toy, looks like a museum piece, lovely sculptural 1940s engine, but a toy you can climb aboard and it actually works.

Alternatively, a lot cheaper and safer, get the polish out and spend a pleasant afternoon in the back yard:

View attachment 209107

Going away to Whitby with friends for a week. Hopefully, by the time we are back, frost and salt will be past for this year.
Bike sure looks good Raymond.

Thank you, Adam.

Dry morning but rain expected later so pulled the RE out and went for a short run, about 7-8 miles, to a couple of neighbouring villages. Still not very good at changing down the gears. That Neutral finder certainly useful - you hit it to put the box in neutral from second, third or fourth and that's very handy coming up to junctions. But riding back into the yard, actually managed to select N from first. Might be the first time we've managed that on the Enfield!

More piccies for the shallow minded, self included:

PICT2843.JPGPICT2844.JPG

Good morning, for what it is worth, I think your bike represents a true classic. Has had and continues to have: appeal, longevity, and influence. I am watching with envy your rides around country roads in Europe, . ( as my kids say "CHILL")

Last edited:
Glad you’re getting more familiar with your new classic Raymond, can you tell me how exactly do you operate that neutral finder? I’ve never had one.
Bob, if you've never had a Royal Enfield, you've never had a Neutral finder. One of their innovations nobody ever copied AFAIK.

Look carefully at the side view picture and you'll see an extra lever on the gearbox. In addition to the long shift lever with the rubber tip, there's a small lever behind the kicker?

Just gone and took some close ups:

PICT2847.JPGPICT2848.JPGPICT2849.JPG

So, motoring along in 2nd, 3rd or 4th, you de-clutch, lift your heel up and press down on the front pad on the lever and, hey presto, the box is in neutral.

The regular gear lever works as you would expect. Well, except it's right foot, up for first, down for second third fourth. And of course, it moves back to a central position after each change. But when you shift, the little lever moves round, and stops in a new position with the pointer showing the which gear you are in.

If you look at the rear of the lever, see it best in third picture, there's a gear indication scribed on the case. By the time you're in fourth, that pointer is round at 4 so front of lever is quite high! I can change gear without looking but I still need to look down to find that little lever.

I've wundered whether you could use it from 1st by getting heel of boot under the lever and lifting but I don't know if that would work and not gonna try in case I damage sommat.

The explanation is quite long-winded but using it is quite easy. I'm sure with time it will become second nature.

Look carefully at the side view picture and you'll see an extra lever on the gearbox. In addition to the long shift lever with the rubber tip, there's a small lever behind the kicker?

Well that’s rather ingenious, and your bike just became more charming with old fashioned character after seeing that. :) I rather enjoy touches like that , that you don’t see on most modern machines. Kinda like having to manually advance the timing or something similar.

Well that’s rather ingenious, and your bike just became more charming with old fashioned character after seeing that. :) I rather enjoy touches like that , that you don’t see on most modern machines. Kinda like having to manually advance the timing or something similar.
Your XS2 ain't old enough to have a decompressor? The Bullet has one - look at the picture above with gloves on the saddle, see the little lever hanging below the l/h handlebar?

Wise heads tell me the best way to stop the engine is pull the decomp. That way the engine stops up against compression. Which has various advantages such as minimises risk of wet sumping. But with engine in that position, you can't kick her over. Could probably stand on the lever. So you pull the decomp, move the kicker a small amount. There's an audible sigh from the exhaust as it releases. Now the engine is in the right position for starting - bring the kicker back to top of its stroke and a slow, full kick will light 'er up.

So quaint. And you are drawn into having a relationship with the bike. You got to think about her needs as well as your own. Surely a good life lesson there?

Oh, nearly forgot. The Bullet has an electric start. I haven't used it and again wise heads say best not to, the sprag clutch is notorious for self-destructing. Re-wired the bike and deliberately did not wire a start button. In time, the starter motor will be removed.

So quaint. And you are drawn into having a relationship with the bike.

I know what you mean, my old Triumph Bonneville required a very specific sequence of actions to kick it to life. If you followed them it would reward you with firing right off. Do it wrong and you will kick until you run out of breath. My biggest regret was selling that bike.

Actually the XS2 and up to the 1973 TX650 had an integral Valve Lifter to decompress the engine to aid starting. The early starter motors were not considered strong enough to rotate the engine without it. Later models I understand had stronger motors and larger batteries to drive them.
Personally I always kicked my 73 to life and eliminated the starter and never found it difficult to kick through.
My BSA single on the other hand...........

Back