2003 Royal Enfield 500 Deluxe

Today, jumped on the XS and rode to see Elliot. He lives in Northumberland, about 55 miles each way so a nice ride on little country roads. Apart from about 8 miles of the A1, the route I have devised misses out main roads. Harvest in full swing, so a bit of dodging tractors pulling huge trailers. Have to say, the XS is going great and has been since I replaced the battery earth strap. And the weather was perfect today.

Had a few things to take to Elliot - his spark gap tester, my chain riveter tool. Also shoved the Bullet carburetor in my backpack - Elliot has a compressor.

He was happy to start the compressor, I stripped the jets out and we blasted 200 psi through all the various openings.

Home again, re-fitted the carb and started the Bullet. At first, a lot of farting and popping. Bike stalled two or three times. But some fiddling with the cable and juggling the throttle, soon able to hold an idle. Even adjusted the throttle stop very approximately. Once I was happy that the engine would reliably return to idle and reliably re-start after shutting down, I even went for a short test. Only around the village - didn't want to go further than a push home . . .

I am so happy, given that the Enfield has been in the garage in disgrace for the last couple of weeks - since I went to Galashiels on July 20th in fact.

Two-wheeled life feels so good on a day like this.

Just goes to show... even old bikes like a good "blow" job now and again... :whistle:
Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
😁

Despite the satisfaction I felt yesterday, and perhaps the bike too, Jim? Today, bloody thing would not start.

Tell me what you want, what you really, really want. Time to bite the Bullet (sorry!)

mikuni 32mm.jpg

That there is a Mikuni VM32mm carburettor plus fitting kit, from Hitchcocks inevitably, tuned for a Bullet 500.

Now lets see if you still sulk . . .

When I bought my old Triumph Bonneville, I popped for a new set of factory fresh Amals and it made a world of difference. You go Raymond, the quest for perfection continues! 👍🏻

Edit: the reason was because sometimes those old carb bodies just wear out and get loose and leak air.

What changed overnight? Perhaps the float or its seat is not quite right....
Shame to have to update, but maybe that's salvation
That's a very good question, JP. I guess I'm beginning to believe what people say that the Indian copy of the Mikuni is not quite so good as the Japanese original and wears out. Maybe the carb is worn out and not keeping its tune? Bit like what @Mailman says about the Amals on his Triumph.

It's an expensive part to replace just to see if that cures the problems. But if it does, will almost feel like money well spent.

Had my 2011 Bullet downstairs.... seems to take forever to clean it. Plan on a 400 mile weekend (round trip) solo this week. End of the month wife and I will do Wild Cat... 5-600 round trip. :cool:

Attachments

• Sidecar wash.jpg
    Sidecar wash.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 47
This question don't really belong in this thread, not sure where it does. Story of my life perhaps. But maybe some of the good people on this forum could have a go at providing the answer.

Why do I spend my time fixing up old motorbikes when I could buy a new one and just go out and ride it?

Sitting at home right now, still waiting for a new carburetor to arrive. New message says it will be here in the next couple of hours. It's beautiful day, the Met Office has issued another heat warning for exceptional temperatures in England, literally not a cloud in the sky here.

Mrs is away visiting her daughter but if she were here, I believe she would say Why don't you go out on one of your other bikes? and that's not a question I have an answer for.

I hope somebody can shed light on why I put meself through so much aggravation, delay, postponed satisfaction, not to mention money and work. Just to ride a bike that is old fashioned, slow, objectively just nowhere near as good as say a brand new RE Classic 350 like this:

royal-enfield-classic-350.jpg

So I repeat, why do I spend my time fixing up old motorbikes when I could buy a new one and just go out and ride it?

I'll take a stab at it: Bloody hell anyone with $ (#) can go buy a new bike, it takes a certain talent to ride an old fiddler.
Kinda same puzzling question as why do men spend treasure and time chasing golf balls and women; both frustrating:shrug:

This question don't really belong in this thread, not sure where it does. Story of my life perhaps. But maybe some of the good people on this forum could have a go at providing the answer.

Why do I spend my time fixing up old motorbikes when I could buy a new one and just go out and ride it?

Sitting at home right now, still waiting for a new carburetor to arrive. New message says it will be here in the next couple of hours. It's beautiful day, the Met Office has issued another heat warning for exceptional temperatures in England, literally not a cloud in the sky here.

Mrs is away visiting her daughter but if she were here, I believe she would say Why don't you go out on one of your other bikes? and that's not a question I have an answer for.

I hope somebody can shed light on why I put meself through so much aggravation, delay, postponed satisfaction, not to mention money and work. Just to ride a bike that is old fashioned, slow, objectively just nowhere near as good as say a brand new RE Classic 350 like this:

View attachment 221625

So I repeat, why do I spend my time fixing up old motorbikes when I could buy a new one and just go out and ride it?
You are a tinkerer. In spite of the frustrations, you enjoy solving problems. Nothing (well, few things) feel as good as when you figure something out and it all comes together. I used to spend hours bent over the fender (wing to you) of my hot rod Ford tweaking the Holley 4 bbl and messing with the timing. When I finally hit the sweet spot........such a rush. When you just want to ride, you have the Kawasaki, and when you want to tinker and tune you have the XS and the RE. I don't think there's anything wrong with the scenario, or maybe it's just you and me that are crazy.

That's right up there with what "The Bard" once posed, "To Be or Not To Be, That IS the question, Whether tis nobler in the Mind to suffer the Slings and Arrows of outrageous Old Motorbikes or Enjoy the Pleasures of a Shiny new Ride" ;)

Yeah, what the others have said. There is a certain satisfaction in being able to keep an old maintenance intensive bike going, even more if you brought that bike back from the dead. I also enjoy figuring out, just what an old bike wants from you to start, they all have their own personality and sometimes it’s learning a secret handshake! You do everything right, in the right order and it will reward you with firing right off, but don’t do it right and you can kick that bike till you’re blue in the face! 😄
There is also the reward of figuring out a problem, like where you’re at right now. It’s frustrating now, but later, after you have resolved the issue, it’s a very satisfying feeling.
Besides…we enjoy watching watching people flail away at a problem while cheering from the bleachers! 😁

There is something to be said for “working for your ride”. Seriously, is there a better feeling than working on your bike, taking it out, and it’s running like a top? Granted there are always times when something goes wrong, at the most inconvenient time. But that’s why I tell my wife, you need old bikes to keep your soul alive, new bikes for when you’re about to throw a wrench through the garage wall haha. Gotta get one of each!

Back