34mm mikuni carbs where to buy?

bigpup

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I am looking to buy a pair of 34mm mikuni roundslides for my project, where are you guys buying them from? I know 650central is $396 with xs pods, and then on ebay there is guys at $339.95 plus $10 bucks shipping, and there is another seller on there Sportingforless thats at $289.95, so who do you guys recommend, If there all the same why not just go for the less expensive ones.:shrug:

They're not all the same. Some kits (SFL's for example) are sold with substandard mounts and air filters. Mikuni sells the carbs with generic jetting that's far too rich for our machines, and with needles that aren't optimal as well; any options must be bought separately, and that's extra money. What some vendors do is to replace pilots and mains for a combination that will run--badly. To get the carbs to perform, needles and needle jets (aka emulsion tubes, aka atomizers) must also be replaced. SFL is particularly treacherous in this regard; they'll put the needful in about one carb set out of ten, so when guys grouse there'll be an unwitting shill to pipe up and say "But mine are good!" Michael Morse (650 Central) sends the carbs out with a good baseline, and he'll ask about your setup and location (altitude, etc.) to approximate what you'll need. Also, no one but Michael sends VM's out the door with vacuum barbs installed for synching with a manometer and furnishes after-the-sale tech support.

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. If you really want to cheap out you can buy a pair of generic VM34's for around $220; then you get to pay for brass, mounts, filters, cables, etc. I guarantee you'll hit Michael's price before you get it right, with an Excedrin headache for free unless you really know what you're doing.

Hi bigpup
Not all mikuni 34's are the same, or rather how they are set up is not.
You cant really go wrong with 650central but they aint cheap
Heard good & bad about sportingforless, Ben Mccree just got some from them, see this thread
34 mikuni carbs from sportingforless

:agree::agree::agree:grizdl1 summed it up perfectly

Great service from 650 Central. They'll come jetted real close and if you need different jets, give him a call and he'll swap them out for different ones. He'll also give great tech support for them over the phone and he really knows his stuff. Plus they come with a tuning manual and tips sheets, vacuum barbs, and pull choke on the right.

Kits can come with different cables, carb holders, and filters so it's not always apples to apples.

There were rumors going around for a long time that SPL would send out certain kits with the correct jetting and some with the wrong jetting. I dont' think that's true anymore though but I would send them an email to verify exactly was is in them before you order if you go that route.

Don't know anything about the other Ebay seller...

Just looked at the SPL, ebay, and 650 central kits again and the benefit you're getting with 650 Central is the vacuum barbs installed in the carb bodies and not in the holders, right side pull choke, better air filters, throttle cable length option, good carb holders, breather filter, tuning manual, tips sheet, and great tech support and service over the phone.

Has anyone got any info on SpeedMotoCo on ebay. they shot me a price of $430ish for 34mm flat slides (TM) Mikunis, with Uni foam filters, all base jetted. They also offer cable and intake kits. But I am doing aluminum intakes and Motion Pro said they would make me a cable to allow me to run a YZ250 throttle housing and the cable splitter for $58.

- i dont know anything about speedmotoco...they have an 18600 ebay feedback rating at 99.2% ... doesnt mean anything wrt carbs and base jetting ... and its ebay?

- i do know motion pro...ive used their cables in snowmobiles and bikes before...no problem there

So you just called up motion pro and told them what you needed? Or was it through a distributor or retailer? If it's that easy, I need to give them a call!

ITs that easy. Called Motion Pro directly. Tell them what you're running on both ends, if you need a splitter fir two carbs, and if stock length housing or not. He said they do it all the time and quoted mr like 54 bucks. I also told him I wanted a clutch cable ordered to fit xs650 on engine end and ASV folding motocross lever on other end. He said no problem, 42 bucks.

I just was hoping to get some feedback on the speedmotoco. I called them and sounded real confident in what they were selling and have good feedback. So when I get few extra bucks I'll get the flatslides coming. Any suggestions on 36 or 34mm? It'll be 750 big bore kit, rephase to 277, ported head, pamco ignition, and hand built exhaust.

ITs that easy. Called Motion Pro directly. Tell them what you're running on both ends, if you need a splitter fir two carbs, and if stock length housing or not. He said they do it all the time and quoted mr like 54 bucks. I also told him I wanted a clutch cable ordered to fit xs650 on engine end and ASV folding motocross lever on other end. He said no problem, 42 bucks.

I just was hoping to get some feedback on the speedmotoco. I called them and sounded real confident in what they were selling and have good feedback. So when I get few extra bucks I'll get the flatslides coming. Any suggestions on 36 or 34mm? It'll be 750 big bore kit, rephase to 277, ported head, pamco ignition, and hand built exhaust.
'

Get the F/S 36mm,unlike round slides,there's less air drag turbulence beneath the slide or through the venturi due to the smooth bore design,best bucks you'll ever spend in my opinion. If the head flows reasonably well,what you don't want is flow restriction at the entrance.

Back