6061 T6 Aluminum Girder Build

sonicarb13

sonicarb13
Reaction score
Started designing and building this girder a while back and I'm closing in on completion so I thought I would share some pictures of it. Thank god I use geometry at work on a regular basis or I would have been lost! Also I was concerned about my stainless hardware causing problems in the aluminum threaded trees so I did a little research and found this great product that prevents dissimilar metals from corroding when in contact. They call it Eck and it isolates the parts with a zinc based coating.

Attachments

• Cad Rod.jpg
    Cad Rod.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 313
  • Eck.JPG
    Eck.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 358
  • Front end.JPG
    Front end.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 699
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 384
  • Radius Rod Com..JPG
    Radius Rod Com..JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 322
A dedicated thread for this girder! Now we're talking!

What keep the links from popping off the bearings? Are they just pressed in?

Eck is similar to Mastinox, except Mastinox has a skull and crossed bones on the can! Zinc and manganese compounds are used as sacrificial layers between dissimilar metals all the time. I'm interested to see how the torional rigidity works out. Nice looking rig.

That is AWESOME! I love the design. I'm developing one too, but it's a long way from reality at this point (limited resources...).

Looking really good man! I work at a custom equipment manufacture so I have all the tools I need. I used a company called emachineshop.com to cut all my designed parts though, they have a free simplified cad program you download and you can even price your parts live. I will say the parts were plasma cut so anything over 1/2" material does taper 15 thousands or so.

Eck is similar to Mastinox, except Mastinox has a skull and crossed bones on the can! Zinc and manganese compounds are used as sacrificial layers between dissimilar metals all the time. I'm interested to see how the torional rigidity works out. Nice looking rig.

Thanks man. I didnt make it crazy long for that reason. Also the bearings in the radius rods make it pretty solid. But, I'm interested to see how she handles too, ha.

A dedicated thread for this girder! Now we're talking!

What keep the links from popping off the bearings? Are they just pressed in?

They are a press fit but I used a sleeve retaining compound for extra piece of mind. I made a set of retaining cups for the outside in the event they start moving though, I just liked the mechanical look so I hope it works out.

That is AWESOME! I love the design. I'm developing one too, but it's a long way from reality at this point (limited resources...).

Looking really good man! I work at a custom equipment manufacture so I have all the tools I need. I used a company called emachineshop.com to cut all my designed parts though, they have a free simplified cad program you download and you can even price your parts live. I will say the parts were plasma cut so anything over 1/2" material does taper 15 thousands or so.

I'm planning on getting the parts rough cut on a plasma and then finished on a 4 axis cnc mill. A friend of mine runs a fab shop and has the cnc to do what I want. Just need the $$$. I design my stuff in SolidWorks (I do mechanical design for a living). My lunch breaks are usually pretty busy! LOL
I can't wait to see what yours looks like installed and running around! Are you using shoulder bolts at the pivot points on yours?

:)
Started designing and building this girder a while back and I'm closing in on completion so I thought I would share some pictures of it. Thank god I use geometry at work on a regular basis or I would have been lost! Also I was concerned about my stainless hardware causing problems in the aluminum threaded trees so I did a little research and found this great product that prevents dissimilar metals from corroding when in contact. They call it Eck and it isolates the parts with a zinc based coating.

I work with 6061 T-6 that I press 4130 or 17-4 bushings into. our common practice is to use an epoxy primer wet installation to prevent dissimilar metal contact. we switched to this process when we stopped carrying cadnium plating, was your selection of the Eck based on a better resistance of the Eck wearing out if the parts vibrate? so far I have not seen any cases of corrosion from the method we are using... kinda feel like the two metals already have such high anti corrosion properties that neither will really deteriorate?? I know the aluminum can corrode faster than the stainless but just have not encounterred it. i felt that with our facility on the ocean front we would see the worst of salt water air corrosion. our product undergoes exstream vibration which also has not produced any problems to our method so im wondering have you ever exsperience corrosion from these two metals not being insolated??

I'm planning on getting the parts rough cut on a plasma and then finished on a 4 axis cnc mill. A friend of mine runs a fab shop and has the cnc to do what I want. Just need the $$$. I design my stuff in SolidWorks (I do mechanical design for a living). My lunch breaks are usually pretty busy! LOL
I can't wait to see what yours looks like installed and running around! Are you using shoulder bolts at the pivot points on yours?

Yes I bought longer bolts then removed some threaded portion so I had a shoulder on the i.d. of the bearing. I use Inventor Pro at my job on occasion to draw hydraulic schematics and small parts but I am far from a pro. Always wanted to try solidworks.

:)

I work with 6061 T-6 that I press 4130 or 17-4 bushings into. our common practice is to use an epoxy primer wet installation to prevent dissimilar metal contact. we switched to this process when we stopped carrying cadnium plating, was your selection of the Eck based on a better resistance of the Eck wearing out if the parts vibrate? so far I have not seen any cases of corrosion from the method we are using... kinda feel like the two metals already have such high anti corrosion properties that neither will really deteriorate?? I know the aluminum can corrode faster than the stainless but just have not encounterred it. i felt that with our facility on the ocean front we would see the worst of salt water air corrosion. our product undergoes exstream vibration which also has not produced any problems to our method so im wondering have you ever exsperience corrosion from these two metals not being insolated??

I'm sure I am over thinking the need for a protective barrier considering I have no electric current present to create galvanic corrosion but I tend to over think a lot of things! Ha. As far as the vibration is concerned I am using shaker bushings to isolate my engine from the frame so I shouldn't have much resonance in the front end. I build mobile drilling equipment for a living and we offer a machine that uses sonic technology to drill for core samples, I have seen dissimilar metal corrosion on older machines that come in for repair and they are a real pain to get apart. I will have to mention the wet primer technique to my painter, thanks.

Made my neck stem today. Decided to use 7075 aircraft grade aluminum for this because its a little stronger than 6061. 1" material with fine thread done on a lathe. Half the weight of steel and as strong as A36, should hold my incredible 165 lbs.

Attachments

• neck stem.JPG
    neck stem.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 279
Todays project was milling, drilling and tapping the upper tree for the shock mount. While I was at it I added the mounting holes for the bars. Talked to the engineer from Works Performance yesterday and he thinks my shock will be done next week! Still have to machine the lower mount rod and drill the axle out to 15mm, not to mention the hours of polishing I have ahead of me.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 235
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 265
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 237
Back