'68 BSA Victor Build..... Bloody 'el mate... You 'effin daft or sommat?!?

Jim, been a long time since I've had one of those apart. Is that the QD hub? The wheel hub is splined to the brake drum.
Sight down the side of the tire to the sprocket and see how much chain clearance there is to the edge of the tire. You can shift the rim with spoke adjustment if there's room for chain clearance.
Yeah. Look at comment 135. There's room to move the rim over if I want to.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Yes you are. As you quoted above.... "The gearbox sprocket and rear wheel sprocket must be in line, eveything else is a compromise.”

Looking at the front sprocket, it all makes sense now. The sprocket is set pretty far in toward the centerline of the engine. To get the chain to run true, they had to move the engine to the left and the rear wheel to the right.
The one I owned was back in the 70's so the memory is fuzzy, but I don't remember any bad habits from it.

1646858207771.png

Here Jim, interesting video link. BSA did this so the tire could be changed without messing with or affecting chain tension.

If I'm remembering correctly, my old RD's with the cush hub were designed to leave the sprocket in place in the same fashion... although I recall it was easier just to remove the sprocket with the wheel anyway.
Nice animation btw....

Doh.... should have thought to look at some Brit bike forums. All that makes sense in a way... I definitely noticed that the engine is offset to the left in the frame. It's starting to look like this is normal. Weird... but normal.
Maybe @Scripto VU can chime in here?

Here's the front engine mount....

View attachment 209350

... and the front of the cases...

View attachment 209351

An engine offset to the left and wheel offset to the right seems counterintuitive though.... :umm:

I will see what my rear wheel alignment looks like - I do have a much smaller tire, (stock "road tire" size).

1646858026971.jpeg

Not a great day for outside work, another 4 inches today, a little tea and reading the Sunday NYT. After all working on weird British bikes is a side effect of being a wicked old Ace.
1646858139963.jpeg

Needs a bath now. Will have to wait... 4 to 8" of snow and single digits for the next few days....

1646877969170.png

Did find something else missing. Actually amazed I didn't notice it before. The sidestand tab is broke off. I knew the stand was missing, never noticed the tab though. Found a stand on Ebay... it's on the way. Just need to fab and weld up a tab for it.

1646878270458.png

Hi Jim,
I personally always loved the story of Stan Millard's B50 flat tracker!
Always wanted to have one but back (zillions of years ago in the glorious bay area end 80's then everybody suggested me to buy instead a Sr500) then i decided to get both the Yamaha single and the twin...Doooooh...I'm somewhat envious ahaha.
Lotsa fun with it!

Kind regards from Italy

Christian

Another piece of the puzzle just showed up....

1648583376968.png

Stand, spring, pivot pin and lock tab.... 26 bucks delivered. For a moment I thought I'd got another Ebay fuckin'...
Book shows as P/N 40-4752. Number on the stand is 40-4731. Searched everywhere for P/N....31... nothing. I'm thinkin' fuck me... screwed again....

1648583646992.png

Finally found the answer at British Bike Bits....

Untitled.png

So apparently... BSA "part" numbers and BSA "casting" numbers don't necessarily match.... you devious limey bastards.... :sneaky:

Anyway... another piece of the puzzle...

Another piece of the puzzle just showed up....

View attachment 210672

Stand, spring, pivot pin and lock tab.... 26 bucks delivered. For a moment I thought I'd got another Ebay fuckin'...
Book shows as P/N 40-4752. Number on the stand is 40-4731. Searched everywhere for P/N....31... nothing. I'm thinkin' fuck me... screwed again....

View attachment 210676

Finally found the answer at British Bike Bits....

View attachment 210679

So apparently... BSA "part" numbers and BSA "casting" numbers don't necessarily match.... you devious limey bastards.... :sneaky:

Anyway... another piece of the puzzle...
Fookin’ ‘ell mate, we wuz mekin’ fookin’ revolvers this mornin’ an’ fookin’ tank parts fur lunch. Fookin’ bike stands were just a fookin’ sideline....fookin’ numbers...... pass me pint and light me fookin’ fag!

HaHa..when we sold British parts, 1st you looked in the parts book, wrote the number down, then you looked in a cross reference book and finally you looked in parts boxes for it. Finally you looked in the price book, sometimes for both numbers, and the retail price was $.10! Needless to say, the customer paid a little more. :rolleyes:

HaHa..when we sold British parts, 1st you looked in the parts book, wrote the number down, then you looked in a cross reference book and finally you looked in parts boxes for it. Finally you looked in the price book, sometimes for both numbers, and the retail price was $.10! Needless to say, the customer paid a little more. :rolleyes:
Fooking rip off!

Had a 1947 Clark forklift it was WWII surplus. a "Plane loader" We used it in our lumberyard for decades. In the 90's I rebuilt the transmission. It took 4 "crosses" to get a current part number, the numbering system had changed 3 times. I called, do you remember calling for parts?) They had the reverse gear cluster IN STOCK in an Illinois warehouse at a decent price. Last I heard a couple years ago that fork lift was still in daily use, at an airport! (I don't think it was loading cargo in airplanes %)
OK back to BSA's :)

Last edited:
So... tomorrow will be a week past the foot surgery. Supposed to leave the dressing in place and keep it elevated for two weeks. But.... she did check the box that said "weight bearing as tolerated." Guess they don't understand what "tolerated" means to me.... :cautious: Took off about 5 lbs of gauze and replaced with a stick-on dressing. Much better...

foot.jpg

foot 2.jpg

Now... where was I....
Picked up a stick of 1"x 0.5" 'C' channel.

1.jpg

Cut off 1 leg of the 'C' and made an 'L' section. Cut that down to slightly larger than required....

2.jpg

Marked up both ends to fit what's left of the original bracket and trimmed to fit.

3.jpg

4.jpg

@Scripto VU gave me some dimensions taken from one of his frames. Thanks Dana. Scribbled those on a piece of paper, transferred to the bracket and made the holes....

dim.jpg

5.jpg

Missing battery tray bracket, done. Two more brackets to make and I'll take the frame downstairs to weld everything up.

Last edited:
Back