71, spark, fuel, no go.

found test procedures for the separate regulator and rectfier in my haynes, pg119.
if I have my meter set at 200ohms, the readout does not change when i touch the black probe(com) to the blac wire in the connector, and touch any white wire with the red probe in the ohm hole on the meter. just says "1 ." is that infinity? open circuit?
could it be I broke my meter by not switching it to dvc when i checked battery volts a couple times? it zeros out though.

The Radio Shack rectifier thing can be done separately of the regulator. If you suspect the rectifier pack is shot then go to radio shack , get the parts and cludge the wiring for a test. If it solves your problem then worry about installing heat sinks and clean wiring. If not you are out $7 and eliminated an issue.

its a 71. they are separate. Would that start blowing the fuse if bad? even if it is in perfect condition visually?

my rotor in my 80 chop doesnt pull like this one. I have to take the brushes out, rite?
then set my meter to the lowest ohm scale(200), and touch the sliprings. should be between 5 and 5.5 ohms? the one in my chop sits at 5.2ohms, and doesnt blow fuses.

Try unplugging the wire harness plug where the alternator plugs in. This disables the alternator. If the bikes starts and runs without blowing a fuse then the charging system is the problem. If it still blows the fuse then it isn't the charging system.

found the reason for the blown fuse. I have the airboxes off, so that meens the batbox is hanging.
after many attemps at re-creating the blow, I noticed a little puff of smoke from under the batbox. the blinker unit was grounding to the fender, but alas, still not starting. If i take off the valve cover on the right side exhaust and have the crank at tdc, can I look up in there to see if the cam marks are where they should be?)dot on top, line on side)

Maybe with a borescope you can but I don't think you can see it just looking in.
Roll it up to TDC on the timing mark. Under the advance side cover check to see which way the pin for the advancer unit is pointing. Should be straight up or down.

leo, check the thread above. I got it running, new problems, but narrowing down. pumps told me that pin to check.
I started a new thread so its more up to date.

Back