72' Bobber Build

Video of motor, back fires and fuel leak. The stupid clutch push rod oil seal is leaking like a bee snatch.

I have one cylinder running a little rich. The mixture screw is all goofed up. I bought a xs650direct.com (Canada's MikeXs) fuel t for my carbs and its the bigget piece of shit. Some stupid reason is two pieces and leaks at the seam. So I'm trying to source either a NOS one or as oldschoolcarbs had mentioned one from an xs850.

Made a rear brake stay and just need to weld that up. Pretty excited that everything is finally comming together.

And one picture for fun.. me and my shop buddy/security system... Charlie 18 month old red Doberman cropped ears, docked tail... Come on in burgulars!

shop_buddies_zpse7d2dd35.jpg

Well.. put in new rings on the motor and compression is right where it should be! Loaded the bike up and went to my brothers to get my fender mounts welded up and some other small tabs for the brake stay. First time shes been outside in over a year... should of knocked some of the dust off :laugh:

truck_zps6d0d21ec.jpg

Ordered some brake lines from http://www.apexbrakes.com/. Cost me $35 shipping and waiting on that. I ordered 35" line which is 2" longer then my measurement. I hope this works since mikesxs.com sells a 41" line to replace everything. The guys from Apex emailed me with a sample picture of the fitting orientation for the fittings I selected.

F1-04-45-90_zps597b0514.jpg

I'm also going to put together the Chrysler voltage reg and rectifier mod. Thanks to IamCarbon, he sent me out the two rectifiers, as there is no Radioshack in Canada anymore!!

I'm at the point for all the small things and its slowly getting there.

Motor is flat black.. I'm thinking a painted frame rootbeer candy metalflake. Tins painted the same.. Not sure if I'm going black with or rootbeer fork legs.

These are two options, I like the black and rootbeer combo on the tank more then the cream on the tank I think. I'll be doing all the paint work myself.

I have one of those storage tent things. I've install and electric fan for negative pressure and it works pretty good. Got a set of Devilbiss spray guns a few years ago. Paint is EXPENSIVE up here.. I'm looking at about $500 just for the materials alone.

Attachments

• loser1.jpg
    loser1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Miller-4.jpg
    Miller-4.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 126
Got my brake line in from Apex.. and I'm very impressed with it. My measurement was where it needed to be with enough length to route and set it in place. Black cover stainless line with 10mm banjo fitting with a 45° angle on the caliper fitting so it has a nice upturn. Because it is an early style caliper it requires the small metal brake line. I found a ski doo master cylinder that had the proper size 10mm x 1.0 banjo bolt that fit in the caliper perfectly.

Having trouble bleeding the Nissin 14mm master cylinder. I'm thinking its probably the way that I'm doing it. So I'm going to pick up a vacuum bleeder at Princess Auto. If that proves not to do the trick I'll get a rebuild kit.

Also build the Chrysler Rectifier Regulator mod. Thanks to IamCarbon for sending me the rectifiers all the way from Florida very stand up guy! I plan to test it on the motor while its out on the bench to ensure everything is doing what it should prior to putting it in the bike. Once test it will be put into a fake oil bag, thats why I mounted the rectifiers to the bottom of the regulator.

Installed solid riser bushings. WOW what a difference.. just sitting on the bike if I push on the handle bars they don't flex forward. That old 30 year old worn out rubber doesn't do much. Suggested modification for everyone regardless. Just had to drill out the rise holes to 1/2".

The to do list is getting shorter and shorter which is exciting. So far what I can think of is:
Chain
Wheel weights
Rear brake pads
Bleed brakes (master cylinder)
Exhaust studs - Bolts - Replace
Engine Mounts
Rear brake shoes
Electric Tank
Wire and crimps

Attachments

• brake1.jpg
    brake1.jpg