75 XS with front end shudder upon application of brake.

spacmanspif300

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
The brakes are not stock. I have 2 drilled XS750 discs on a stock 650 rim. Calipers and MC are from a CBR F2 or F3. Home made 6061 brackets and spacers.

So, I've been using this setup for a while. About a year. I recently pulled the front end apart to paint the lower triple and polish the rim. After re-install, anytime I apply the front brake, I get some squirrelly shuddering.

I've had em on for a few weeks now, and applied heavy and light braking to make sure the pads are bedded in. I've noticed some glazing on the left disc only, and only on the outer face, the inner is fine.

Is the glazing the source of my troubles? How do I solve this? Thanks!

Try breaking all the rotor surfaces with sand paper or emry cloth. Then clean them real good with paint thinner and a cloth.

Maybe check your steering head bearings for proper tightness as well.

Thanks. I need to jack the front end up to remove tension from the front forks to check the stem snugness, but it's a pain so I haven't done so yet. The thing is, I haven't changed that recently, and it had been fine for a year or more. I'll sand and clean the rotors the rotors and see if that solves it.

Back