75b Frontend redo and deep clean

magoo66

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Unhooked the Sidecar from our 75b today.Done in about 20minutes now.Removed a fine working aftermarket master cylinder.Rebuilding and reinstalling original master cylinder with correct mirror.Checking trueness and rebuilding forks.Intend to replace and balance front wheel myself if realistic time allows before riding season begins.If not I’ll ship it to Buchanans.May just do that and ensure having one ready.No usual Ole Magoo pittle pattleing to pass the time allowance on this project.She’ll have my hide. I done been warned. The newly homefabbed overhead roll around winch lift works slick.I’ll share any proactive challenges or worthwhile new process successes should they arise.Aware there are some great threads already on the procedures I’m doing here.Intend to leave the chair off to start the season and just ride some while I still can.Thinking spring.✅

Attachments

• IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5465.jpeg
    IMG_5465.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5466.jpeg
    IMG_5466.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5467.jpeg
    IMG_5467.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5468.jpeg
    IMG_5468.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 57
Unhooked the Sidecar from our 75b today.Done in about 20minutes now.Removed a fine working aftermarket master cylinder.Rebuilding and reinstalling original master cylinder with correct mirror.Checking trueness and rebuilding forks.Intend to replace and balance front wheel myself if realistic time allows before riding season begins.If not I’ll ship it to Buchanans.May just do that and ensure having one ready.No usual Ole Magoo pittle pattleing to pass the time allowance on this project.She’ll have my hide. I done been warned. The newly homefabbed overhead roll around winch lift works slick.I’ll share any proactive challenges or worthwhile new process successes should they arise.Aware there are some great threads already on the procedures I’m doing here.Intend to leave the chair off to start the season and just ride some while I still can.Thinking spring.✅
Administration please feel free to shorten my digression.🗣️

Owned since 2018.The p/o had put a pair of drag bars on it shortly after he’d purchased from original owner that year then decided to sell. I changed back to original bars in 2020.Inspected the wiring very closely before rerunning the harness through the bars.I’ve always just used ether for my sliding helper lube.Ground the weld wire nib that frequently remains at the oval opening in stock bars.Thankfully he’d not butchered anything.A year ago changed rotor with a Jim’s and reinspected wiring stem to stern and some connections cleaning time spent.Everything electrical working sweet.Did any necessary work to tach/speedo and cosmetics to both trees.Alls good.Thus the reason none of it is getting removed.However I will be sliding a couple spare forks up and through,tightened loosely while I do the redo.An old precaution habit in case it’s bumped.

Attachments

• IMG_5471.png
    IMG_5471.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Besides warding off the rust, it really helps to paint the inside of the bucket some light color so you can better see what you're doing in there and see the wire colors. Being hidden, you can just paint it with a brush .....

BucketInside.jpg

Besides warding off the rust, it really helps to paint the inside of the bucket some light color so you can better see what you're doing in there and see the wire colors. Being hidden, you can just paint it with a brush .....

View attachment 260820
I’ve redone many but never painted inside.Great suggestion. I will do the next ones.Thnx👍

The painting is such a simple idea - wish I had been that bright - will def do that on the one I’m working on now - looks clean - I hate that cramed headlight bucket - always seems like there is t room enough!

The painting is such a simple idea - wish I had been that bright - will def do that on the one I’m working on now - looks clean - I hate that cramed headlight bucket - always seems like there is t room enough!
For sure.Wether it’s your first or you’ve done quite a few,it’s an easy procrastination step until you have to get in after the problem.A brighter working background will surely help.

Wow, I surely did a hurried half-assed job mounting a new tire shortly after I acquired this bike. I checked the rim in my jig then and seemed fine. The few hundred miles I’ve ridden it,many with the Sidecar I’ve been thinking what did I hit?Not a wild bounce or shimmy,but just not right. I know what’s caused it now for sure.Saw it instantly when I put it in the jig a bit ago.It will be right this for sure.Darn dummy.😬

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpeg
    IMG_5498.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5497.jpeg
    IMG_5497.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 35
Too many new line changes,and updates to not just go through the paces of removing the headlight bucket and wiring while I’m in the area so to speak.I hate this part, I really do.🥶.

Attachments

• IMG_5522.jpeg
    IMG_5522.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5529.jpeg
    IMG_5529.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5524.jpeg
    IMG_5524.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5521.jpeg
    IMG_5521.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5523.png
    IMG_5523.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Alloy rims really aren't a good choice for sidecar use, they flex too much. This leads to broken spokes. Steel rims would be better, a set of mags even better still.

Alloy rims really aren't a good choice for sidecar use, they flex too much. This leads to broken spokes. Steel rims would be better, a set of mags even better still.
This 75b will remain original. I keep a very close eye on it and no issues. I can hook it to one of my other horses with mags should it ever start. The putter putt riding we do I don’t foresee issues.None so far that is.Appreciate the point though.

This is all I’ve used for over 50years on frames.Tried a few with the older acrylic enamel with hardener on some when requested when I ran my shop but seemingly customers would scratch or chip reassembling and expect it was easy to redo. I went back to rust oleum only and always have great results. I spray it on complete bare frame projects.For minor touch up or dressing up like this brushing works well.It’s forgiving and flows out fine. I only cut it with acetone.Not mineral spirits nor definitively not lacquer thinner.

Attachments

• IMG_5564.jpeg
    IMG_5564.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5563.jpeg
    IMG_5563.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 30
I did go with ordering from Partzilla. I’ve only used them a couple times as I don’t do much rebuilding these days.2 seals,2 dust covers on the way.Looking forward to the fork rebuilding. Thanks Neil’s b for the parts breakdown and referral.👍

Attachments

• IMG_5565.jpeg
    IMG_5565.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5566.png
    IMG_5566.png
    1 MB · Views: 18
Wow, that's a lot of money for 2 dust boots and 2 fork seals, lol. $42.05 for a fork seal, that's robbery.

Back