75b Frontend redo and deep clean

Steering bearing update kit from All Balls Racing arrived today for the 75b.All components seem to be correct.Waiting on the correct brass grease (zert) to install in the neck or It’d be together tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_5618.jpeg
    IMG_5618.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 13
Is that still the old original ball lower race I see on the lower triple stem? If so, that needs to come off before the new roller bearing goes on.

Is that still the old original ball lower race I see on the lower triple stem? If so, that needs to come off before the new roller bearing goes on.
Yes. I am aware now from your recommendations.Thank you.

Remove the original rubber seal first so you don't damage it while removing the race. It's all rubber with no metal or spring in it so it easily stretches over the race to remove it.

Yes. I am aware now from your recommendations.Thank you.
Respectfully asking if I may 5twins,you know the XS/TX650’s I’ve noticed since my joining the group in 2010 very,very well to say the least,did you work for Yamaha?

No, I never worked at any bike shop, just learned on my own. I had always done the basic maintenance stuff like tire and oil changes but years back, I was sadly disappointed a couple of times by shop work I had done. I decided to learn more and do more things myself. I figured if I screwed it up, then I could take it to a shop, lol. With the internet, it's gotten much easier to research and learn. And one of the things I like about the 650 is the abundance of info out there on it. But I was also surprised about the stuff that wasn't out there, stuff I discovered on my own (adjusting the cam chain while the bike idles, TX750 wheels and swingarm swap, TX/XS500 rear wheel swap, Fiat regulator for the '80 and newer models).

No, I never worked at any bike shop, just learned on my own. I had always done the basic maintenance stuff like tire and oil changes but years back, I was sadly disappointed a couple of times by shop work I had done. I decided to learn more and do more things myself. I figured if I screwed it up, then I could take it to a shop, lol. With the internet, it's gotten much easier to research and learn. And one of the things I like about the 650 is the abundance of info out there on it. But I was also surprised about the stuff that wasn't out there, stuff I discovered on my own (adjusting the cam chain while the bike idles, TX750 wheels and swingarm swap, TX/XS500 rear wheel swap, Fiat regulator for the '80 and newer models).
Please keep up with your sharing of what you have learned and knowledgeable objectives.Its admirable trait.Thank you.🤝

fun to read 5twins, I'm far from an expert but have also learned by doing. originally it was out of need for cash to pay someone else to do the work though, later when i could afford it I also learned that whoever work on your stuff do not care as much as you do. My brother and dad thought me a lot, my brother actually is a mechanic and electrical mechanic on all things rolling (was educated in the danish military and a danish utility company). I recall the first bike we overhauled together, I was so worried taking it apart that I had concerns wether it would ever work again, it turned out to serve as a reliable mc for 20 plus year and was still OK when i sold it. Today all I really want (and need) to learn is welding and using a lathe :)

The lathe work is easy as long as you have a good grasp on the tooling and how to use calipers and mics. The welding is more about honing your grinding skills…..
Everything is easy when you know how :), I don’t own a lathe, if I get to the point where it’s going to be a must have, I’ll have to take classes first so I actually know what the heck I’m doing. Looks easy when someone knows how to do it but I’m far from there. Need to convince my brother to come stay for a couple of months - in house classes :)

The mailman was kind this week.Only thing left to do is make it happen.Granted the dust covers and seals but they are the real deal as Neil’sb referred. I am very pleased.Appreciate the tips and how tos,should go smoothly.😁

Attachments

• IMG_5639.jpeg
    IMG_5639.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 17
The mailman was kind this week.Only thing left to do is make it happen.Granted the dust covers and seals but they are the real deal as Neil’sb referred. I am very pleased.Appreciate the tips and how tos,should go smoothly.😁
From Partzilla I’d not added

A note on installing those two top notched nuts - if you examine them closely, you'll see the I.D. on one side is beveled much more than the other side .....

StemNuts.jpg

Install the nuts with the beveled side facing the beveled side, they will tighten together more progressively and with more "feel" this way. This also presents the flatter side of the bottom nut down to better preload the bearings and the flatter side of the upper nut up to better support the top tree. And for tightening the nuts, you'll want to use two C spanner wrenches, one to hold the bottom nut (and your adjusted setting) and the second to tighten the top nut down against it. Although the nuts measure about 40mm across, this 45-52mm size wrench fits perfectly ......

NotchedNut2.jpg

NotchedNut.jpg

You can find these wrenches on eBay for less than $10 each .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145465158044?hash=item21de66299c:g:uwAAAOSwuMdlWyTr&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwGloHbZHOgGc052NhnWnMyctTz3AzICTdEH/VDFdBZB/3oZ+9gabb4aHDqchUMfRrwNtbMI8tYxQRZc434rPXaz+4APkEQPNspOHD9Jt0SvX6ml0t52DEIbd66IITQRMMy14V3A+gilMlHt4lPXj/bBR673P+CTMWARzkim2lqbmY3EiqVKlpu/q8NviwsZIQWxP1TNWAadB/vZ4SmnLqZ46nAYja3SNaNA3/u7tW6DOak3w+kyQNg9l9Bw7H8e05Q==|tkp:Bk9SR9ab9oqyYw

The Allballs tapered bearing’s steering update went very smoothly. It feels as it should.Gary’s suggestion to make a race setting tool using an old race worked well. I have some polishing to do on the headlight ears and bucket and going to paint the inside of bucket white as 5t suggested before mounting then onto the forks.Great evening of progress.

Attachments

• IMG_5661.jpeg
    IMG_5661.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5660.jpeg
    IMG_5660.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5656.jpeg
    IMG_5656.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5654.jpeg
    IMG_5654.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5653.jpeg
    IMG_5653.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5652.jpeg
    IMG_5652.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5651.jpeg
    IMG_5651.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5648.jpeg
    IMG_5648.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5647.jpeg
    IMG_5647.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5645.jpeg
    IMG_5645.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 18
You'll want to check the bearing tension a couple times in the first few hundred miles because try as you might, you don't always get the races seated 100%. Bouncing down the road will finish the job for you, lol. but may result in loose bearings.

You'll want to check the bearing tension a couple times in the first few hundred miles because try as you might, you don't always get the races seated 100%. Bouncing down the road will finish the job for you, lol. but may result in loose bearings.
I’ll definitely do that,thanks

Back