78 special exhaust

yamamunn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
getting my rebuild together all stock except powder coated motor and frame etc. looking for new exhaust as my stock is rusted what do you guys reccomend. Some thing close to stock so no rejetting required thanks, Craig

some pics of things pc'ed [/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Attachments

• rearwheelamptire_zpsf5e454ca.jpg
    rearwheelamptire_zpsf5e454ca.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1
  • swingarm_zpsfdff1fb0.jpg
    swingarm_zpsfdff1fb0.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
  • tank_zpsf643fd88.jpg
    tank_zpsf643fd88.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1
  • rockerbox_zps1c30248a.jpg
    rockerbox_zps1c30248a.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3
  • igncover.jpg
    igncover.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1
IMHO the MikesXS commando system for the specials is hard to beat for looks and sound and the price is reasonable also. Should require only slight jetting changes, probably "would work" with stock jetting. I have his "long" commando mufflers on a 79, I think I am 1 up on the mains and with a Pamco, she runs great. Mains can be swapped "on the bike" on the BS38s.

They have 2 models level muffler mount for 279
07-0747.jpg

and the one with raised mufflers for 299

Commando 2-2 Exhaust System for XS650 "Specials"
Commando 2-2 Exhaust System for Yamaha XS650 "Specials" with Upswept Headpipes. Includes headpipes, 26" Commando megaphone mufflers (3 7/8" end diameter, our part 07-0065), and hardware.
Part #07-0764$340.00 $299.00 USD System

07-0764.jpg

think I might like the upswept is there still clearance for passenger pegs, if anyone has a pic of these on there bike I would like to see them also how is the quality of xs pipes

also looking for silver badges for tank too match the side panel ones. I had to get a standard tank as mine was rusted, lots of rust on bike thats why the fenders and other chromed parts were powdered

I have not used his headers but am very happy with the muffler's quality. I did make some "special inserts" with threaded holes, they slide inside the muffler mount channel instead of just plain nuts. It spreads the stress out for a more secure mount.

This bike is for sale locally, I think it's mikes commando mufflers on the stock headers.

201302131979Yamaha650Special010.jpg

stock headers have to be cut right? that would work for me as long as they clear the brake and shift after cutting thanks Gary, craig

The upswept system will allow passenger pegs, it's not upswept very much. Here's the system we put on my buddy's Special a couple years ago .....

JoesMuffs3.jpg

Unfortunately, with the upsweep bend in the headpipe, it doesn't allow you to slide the muffler forward as much as is needed. You can see we moved the stock muffler hanger bracket back to the passenger peg mount but still, it didn't reach the sliding track on the muffler. Mounting was still pretty simple though. We ran the included hanger strap horizontally from the hanger bracket to the muffler .....

JoesMuffs.jpg

Buying the mufflers and headpipes separate will actually cost you less, go figure - upswept headpipes part #07-0757 and Commando mufflers part #07-0065.

Did u powder coat the hole motor if u did be carful the powder coat hold in the heat 4x more than a regular paint job or bear motor

stock headers have to be cut right? that would work for me as long as they clear the brake and shift after cutting thanks Gary, craig

Yes you have to cut the headers and it's a bit tricky doing a GOOD job of attaching the muffler. From the pic it is likely the special shown has the muffler just clamped over the outer tubing, that will quickly fail. An adapter needs to be made and probably welded to the heavier inner pipe so it doesn't leak and is strong enough. There's a thread somewhere about doing it using a standard tail pipe reducer.

Yes, Pamcopete came up with a way. But new headpipes are the best solution. Just do it.

I never understood the rational behind painting or powder coating engine parts. Many engines have rough sand cast parts in the high heat areas. They have these for a reason - they dissipate heat better. That textured surface, under a magnifying glass, presents so much more surface area than a smooth painted or polished surface. Making them "pretty" by polishing, painting, or powder coating will make them work less efficiently. But yes, I know, for many of you, these bikes are just all about "the look". Feel free to disregard anything I tell you about this, the carbs, the motor, the wheels, the brakes, etc. Park it on the front lawn and let it do it's thing - look pretty.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which magazine I skimmed this weekend but it did have an article and numbers comparing high heat paint and powdercoating. Powdercoating did increase engine temp. If I stop by the bookstore this weekend I'll get more info.

this seems to be one of those controversial things as I have powdered motors before with no problems

Yes, Pamcopete came up with a way. But new headpipes are the best solution. Just do it.

I never understood the rational behind painting or powder coating engine parts. Many engines have rough sand cast parts in the high heat areas. They have these for a reason - they dissipate heat better. That textured surface, under a magnifying glass, presents so much more surface area than a smooth painted or polished surface. Making them "pretty" by polishing, painting, or powder coating will make them work less efficiently. But yes, I know, for many of you, these bikes are just all about "the look". Feel free to disregard anything I tell you about this, the carbs, the motor, the wheels, the brakes, etc. Park it on the front lawn and let it do it's thing - look pretty.

this bike is definitly not for show & no go, I plan to ride it alot. the motor has not been powdered yet I race motocross and have done some vintage aircooled motors without a problem but never a twin. I planned on a texture powder but now you have me thinking twice about it the texture pc will still have that textured surface but I know that the PC is thick, Harley makes a textured rattle can paint this might be what I,ll use. Still want the bike to look good. As far as your advice on the new headpipes I agree that is what I,ll do, Thanks for everyones advice will keep progress posted, Attached is a pic of 1979 cr250 motor that I did[/IMG]

Attachments

• motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
Jdizon was it the horse magazine the only one that puts the xs in there mag cuz that's were I read about it

Not sure if it was the horse but other mags put xs. Cycle source, wrench, street chopper, cafe racers to name a few where xs650s are featured

I see mikes has the commando system on sale $279.00. I just put the new system on mine. I cut the upsweep off and slid the muffler forward. The slide and hanger line up with the passenger peg. Mikes new head pipes are nicer than the old style he use to sell. I put a square nut in the slide 5/16 NC thread and a short bolt. I don't know if it will work with the vibration. I know that they break out the way it was shipped. I used the stock hanger with the upsweep pipes and the short cones I took off. Used two bolts that broke out. I welded them to it after that. Metal fatigue after awhile wins in the end. The commandos look great and fit better without the upsweep. The mufflers sit slightly lower than the ones in gggarys picture and back farther. A powder coated motor will retain more heat. If it is a problem I can't answer that. What you have done so far looks great. :thumbsup:

The best way to hang any sliding track muffler is to use a length of steel bar drilled and tapped and slid into the track. This distributes the load and clamping force across the whole track. In fact, Mikes sells the bar (but they're easy to make) .....

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0116.html

Back