78 Standard Charging Low - Stock - Brushes Fine

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Stock charging setup is charging too low.

at 3000rpm it charges around 12.4, at idle it charges at around 11.

With headlight on, bikes only charges around 9 volts at the battery.

Posted via Mobile

Currently, with battery uncharged, it makes about 9.2 volts.

I tested the voltage at the positive brush, and get around 8.6v

Tested at the brown wire on the key switch and I get 8.6v

Posted via Mobile

Well, it appears the charging system is functioning, just not putting out enough. You're seeing a change from idle to 3K output so maybe just a voltage regulator adjustment will fix things for you .....

QMb3A1k.jpg

Mine never put out a high enough charging rate ever since I owned it, just over 12 at idle and about 13.5 at 3K. Adequate but not ideal. I found the point gap (#4) too large. I closed it up to within spec and now I charge correctly, around 13 at idle, just over 14 at 3K. The bracket #5 has a slotted mounting hole. Loosen the Phillips screw and you can move the bracket up and down to adjust the point gap (#4). I didn't need to fool with the actual adjusting screw (#10).

Last edited:
Have you measured the rotor resistance from slip ring to slip ring? ( brushes removed, and use low scale) Also check from one slip ring to the rotor frame using a high scale.

Slip ring to slip ring should be 5 or 6 ohms. To frame should be infinity.

RG, would the charging rate increase from idle to 3K if the rotor was bad? Wouldn't it just show no voltage change and not charge at all?

The rotor tends to fail by internal shorts between wires, it still creates a charge, just less of one and the draw of the rotor on the battery increases as the resistance goes down.

I just completed replacing a majority of my charging components when I believe the regulator was the culprit all along. I did the VR-115 swap and the Radio Shack rectifier build. My resistance tests were spot on with my rotor and stator. My charging is up to par now.

I was going to get the VR115 but adjusting my original was free so .....

How do I test the output of the alternator before the regulator?

I adjusted the regulator gap at the points which were really far off, I put them to .012", but still getting low charging at the battery at idle.

Posted via Mobile

Negative lead to negative battery terminal, positive lead to outer lower "hot" alternator brush, results in 7 volts output at 1500rpm.

Bummer.

Posted via Mobile

btw I tested the resistance across the slip rings and I beleive its around 2ohms....

so is there any way to repair or increase the resistance back up to 5ohms?

Posted via Mobile

check again with more accurate meter...resistance is still 2.5ohms...

not looking good.

Anyway I can be DAMN SURE the rotor is the problem?

If it is, I'll just upgrade to the PMA, which I only have $70 into right now (Ninja Stator, Banshee Mounting Bracket, Banshee Flywheel) so that make my total costs for that around $140.

Posted via Mobile

Yup, the rotor has a partial short. You had current flow through some of the windings, giving partial magnetism, so you only had a small amount of charging.

edit:
I'm not sure I would call the PMA an upgrade. A PMA and the stock electro-magnet type alternator, both produce electricity.....................they just do it slightly differently.

The stock alternator modulates the rotor current when more or less power is needed. The PMA runs with full power output at all times and then has to dump the extra power produced in the form of heat.

Back