78' Yamaha xs650hs Brat Style Virgin Build

Good luck with the build. Post pics along the way. That headlight on your reference bike looks kind of like a
Thanks for the info, I think I found a nice headlight in my fiance's grandfathers' garage. An old school 12volt headlight with bucket and light. It has a nice vintage look to it. Its perfect.

Currently I'm lowering my shocks. I can't seem to find a 1od, 20mm id, 2 1/4" L steel spacer tube. I can however find a 1"od, 3/4", 2"L brass spacer tube. Will that work? Or is brass to soft a metal to be used in the shocks as a spacer?

I used 4 large steel washers on each side when I'm not using a grab rail or sissy bar.
I ended up cutting my stock bunny rabbit chrome handlebars in pieces and using a 2 1/4" spacer that I cut with my 10" mitre saw w/metal cutting disc. Just hope the chrome doesn't cause any problems being that they are sitting in oil.

So the bike is back from the welder. I had the seat rails dropped in brat style and it now has a nice stance. Things I have done thus far:
  • Lowered forks 2.5" ala Mulligans instructions here used ATF fluid in place of fork oil, no leaks, reused all stock seals and hardware.
  • Installed some dirt bike handlebars
  • Custom rear fender and mounting system (can handle passenger load)
  • Installed MikesXS fork boots
  • Installed 4" old school headlight from my fiance's grandpa's garage
  • Installed 10.5 Sportster shocks
  • Installed Sportster Peanut tank
I still have many things to do. Such as:
  • Electrical
  • Electrical box to house wires, etc
  • Find a suitable battery to work with e-start and fit into small electrical box
  • New rear sprocket
  • Refurbish brakes
  • Carburetors (Single intake from Joe-wiseguy possibly)
  • Troubleshoot whatever comes up
  • Fenders
  • Cover seat
  • Mount sissy pad

I can honest say that everything I've done, I've consulted the posts here at this website and some others. I wouldn't be as far as I am if it weren't for this site. I don't post often, but I do read alot. Thanks guys. I'm having a blast.:D Still not finished though. I will post more pics as I move through this build.

As it is today.
IMAG0513.jpg

My son Tj on the bike.
IMAG0494.jpg

Without the motor.
IMAG0502.jpg

I can't tell-is the fender mounted to the frame? Won't the tire hit the fender?

Cute kid. :)

John
Yes, it's mounted to the frame, but the rear wheel has about 1-3/16th's of travel before hitting the fender at the lowest point. The shocks are 10.5" HD Sportster shocks which have approximately 1" travel and 1/2" of sag, so 1/2" of usable suspension. There pretty hard ridin.

I'll have to see how they actually ride when I get the bike on the road. If they don't work out I'll put some 10" Biltwell hardtail struts on it to make it a rigid. Like these.

The brat style website is very cool. I've had it saved in my bookmarks for awhile now. No mention however why the brat name came about however. Maybe someone who knows can chime in.

When I was putting the plan together to start building my bike I looked that website for inspiration. It's really cool.

Back