What's a Yamaha XS650"CR"?

MagnaXs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's a Yamaha XS650"CR" you ask?
Well, it's the XS650 based "Café Racer"🏍️ that Yamaha could have/should have built in the late 70s !
Yamaha could have, because they already had most of the necessary parts on their parts shelf.
And, Yamaha should have, because café racers are sooooooo Kool. :bike:
Unfortunately the Yamaha designers at the time were busy :umm:changing the already awesome :bow:XS650:bow2: into something . . . "Special".
And, after over 40 years of waiting for Yamaha to get with the program and still nothing, I decided I would build one myself.:thumbsup:
The criteria that I focused on for the build was ... that it incorporated as many period-correct Yamaha parts as possible ... it had to be
comfortable to ride ... and it had to look like it could have originated from the Yamaha assembly line.
So this is what I came up with. What do you think?
P_20210910_171809_vHDR_Auto cc.jpg
P_20210903_141341_vHDR_Auto_1e.jpg
P_20210903_141316_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg
P_20210910_171848_004e.jpg
P_20210910_171903_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I really like it well done. The oil cooler install is very neat. Actually the more I look the more I see the effort you have put in.
Sadly I think if Yamaha made a CR at the time of the specials it would have bombed badly but we will never know.
Thanks for posting

I really like it well done. The oil cooler install is very neat. Actually the more I look the more I see the effort you have put in.
Sadly I think if Yamaha made a CR at the time of the specials it would have bombed badly but we will never know.
Thanks for posting
Surely Yamaha could have improved the Standard model XS a bit without excessive cost. First priority would have been to move the rider footpegs back, improving ergonomics. Then raised the primary gearing, so a larger rear sprocket could be used. Improved the brakes, with a small rear disc and a larger single front disc. Less unsprung weight would have helped the suspension as well. And increased the bore to 80 mm, giving a 750 cc engine directly from the factory.

What's a Yamaha XS650"CR" you ask?
Well, it's the XS650 based "Café Racer"🏍️ that Yamaha could have/should have built in the late 70s !
Yamaha could have, because they already had most of the necessary parts on their parts shelf.
And, Yamaha should have, because café racers are sooooooo Kool. :bike:
Unfortunately the Yamaha designers at the time were busy :umm:changing the already awesome :bow:XS650:bow2: into something . . . "Special".
And, after over 40 years of waiting for Yamaha to get with the program and still nothing, I decided I would build one myself.:thumbsup:
The criteria that I focused on for the build was ... that it incorporated as many period-correct Yamaha parts as possible ... it had to be
comfortable to ride ... and it had to look like it could have originated from the Yamaha assembly line.
So this is what I came up with. What do you think?View attachment 248777View attachment 248776View attachment 248775View attachment 248778View attachment 248779
Well done sir!

Thanks for posting
I think that your comment about "bombing badly" has merit. IIRC, that was when everything performance oriented was leaning heavily towards twin cam fours.

Hi Magna, you are being too modest when you say it had to look like it could have originated from the Yamaha assembly line. Yours doesn't, but that's because you've done so much to make it your bike. No way would a factory go so far with the detail.

For example, the rear sets - you wanted a proper Café Racer so clip-ons and rear sets it has to be. But would Yam have gone to all that trouble? More likely have fitted low bars but left the standard pegs and made a back-breaking pig's ear. Nor would they have fitted an oil cooler - an admission that the set up on the XS was insufficient?

Like your use of the XS750 tank. Altogether, the bike looks clean and well put together. But not factory.

Wow, very nice. The only thing I'll mention is those pleated K&N style pods may cause some carb tuning issues. Straight foam UNI pods work best .....

View attachment 248781

View attachment 248782
Thank you 5twins for your reply ... I've been a long time fan of yours.
And yes, I'll have to admit that getting the original carbs to function properly with the pods, head work, and low restriction exhaust was quite the challenge. However, I really do like the "look" of the pods, as well as the original carbs ... so by hook or by crook I was determined to make them work. I patiently tried numerous configurations of different combinations of jets, needles, and needle positions before finally achieving the "sweet spot". But, it was definitely worth the effort, because now it happily pulls hard and smooth from idle through to 8000 RPM plus.
So it performs as good as it looks , and I couldn't possibly be more pleased.😊

Last edited:
Thanks for posting
👍 I would love to see Yamaha introduce a new parallel twin "CR" 😍 to complete with the Triumph Thruxton and the RE Interceptor.

Hi Magna, you are being too modest when you say it had to look like it could have originated from the Yamaha assembly line. Yours doesn't, but that's because you've done so much to make it your bike. No way would a factory go so far with the detail.

For example, the rear sets - you wanted a proper Café Racer so clip-ons and rear sets it has to be. But would Yam have gone to all that trouble? More likely have fitted low bars but left the standard pegs and made a back-breaking pig's ear. Nor would they have fitted an oil cooler - an admission that the set up on the XS was insufficient?

Like your use of the XS750 tank. Altogether, the bike looks clean and well put together. But not factory.
You're right, not quite factory ... I guess I got a little carried away. 🤔

Yamaha did indeed build a Cafe Racer in the early 80's, the Yamaha 550 Seca. I uncrated and rode our first one at the shop, took it for a spin and loved it.

It just didnt sell very well for some reason...the Specials were still selling way more often.

At any rate, that's a gorgeous bike you have there...very nice. 👍

1691598653229.png

Wow! What a beautifully done bike. The first thing that caught my eye was that XS750 gas tank with the early Yamaha tank badge ( nice touch ) , another nice detail is the rear set pegs that look like factory mounts and the factory rubber covers. The very clean way you mounted the oil cooler, triple discs, and on and on, it’s just a super clean looking build. Well done!
IMG_1188.jpeg

Did you take any photos during your build? They would be interesting to see. 😃

Back