'79 Special 2 front wheel rim ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone please give me the part number for the above rim ?
Just in case I ever stumble across one in a breakers or autojumble (swap meet)
I got the rear 16" wheel to match, and it just doesn't look right with one of the"dog pee catcher" flanged rims up front.
Just debating with myself whether to fit a early TX650 front wheel with it's chromed steel rim or to try and track down the Special 2 item

The ‘79 Special II rims are aluminum alloy. The went to steel for subsequent models.

Where is the part number on the rim. I have a set and I can look for it. They do have tires on them.

Many thanks.
I don't think that there's much to go on on the rear rim.
Took me a while to work out exactly what I'd bought.
Vendor claimed it was from a '74 model.
Seemed to put other bidders off anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_161513.jpg
    IMG_20230715_161513.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 41
TAKASAGO 1.85X19 102 JAPAN J 19X1.85 DOT 1078

That’s everything I can find on the front rim. It’s marked by the valve stem. I know this may be of little help, but if there’s anything else it’s covered by the tire.

Yes, I don't think you'll find a part number on the rim, just size and manufacturer, usually stamped next to the valve stem hole .....

RimLabel.jpg

RimLabel2.jpg

It would probably be easier just to buy a WM style rim and lace it up, that's all I did .....

NewWheelMounted5.jpg

..... and I went slightly wider too, with a 2.15. It looks nice and works well.

Here's the Yamaha part #. Maybe you can cross that to a manufacturers part #?

zzz.png

Many thanks everyone.
That part number might help me in tracking one down somewhere.
Although with the Special 2 not ever sold in the UK (along with about ten other varients) it will probably turn up at one of the dealers that do grey imports.

This 2.15 x 19 has the looks and :twocents:wider is better............ that's a 110/90/19 tire.
gt750 front wheel done.jpg

All on a GT750 4ls front drum hub.
This one is either a 2.15 or 250 19
widewheelz 007.JPG

I think both rims were from MikesXS

Cheers Gary !
I actually tracked down a genuine Yamaha rim in Germany.
Just £262 ! ($343)
Probably cheaper to have a Borrani rim laced up with stainless steel spokes too.
I'm actually lucky enough have a spare XS1 TLS front hub/brake (I think that I've got four of them in various states)
Just wondering what an early Special would look like with wire wheels and drum brakes both ends ?
I'm afraid that the depths of my pockets don't run to a GT750 4LS drum at the moment.
Dealers asking £1000+ over here

I'm afraid that the depths of my pockets don't run to a GT750 4LS drum at the moment.
Dealers asking £1000+ over here
They aren't cheap here either! grabbed that one in "well patina'd condition" at a Barber Vintage Weekend swap meet. It's just one of those bucket list things for me to have a 4LS front drum. It hasn't found a bike to live on yet. One sticking point; it's a very wide hub, finding forks to fit isn't simple. It may need custom triples, cuz I'd prefer better shock action than the GT750 fork internals. I keep tossing around using a set of earls forks from a Royal Enfield with some quality shock absorbers.
Part of the look of the 4LS set up
KIMG4230.JPG and hard to find...
Just went and looked seems Mikes closed out and sold off the WM 2.15 x19 rims. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back