hughs handbuilt pma
boyer brandsen micro electronic ignition
ballistic lithium ion battery
lowbrow hologen headlight
dime city tail light
dime city led speedo
NO electronic ignition
Custom wiring harness
was riding the bike and the lights i noticed were off(daytime) 5-10 mins later the battery burst and melted
over charged but why? I ride bikes , ride them well but I'm a complete idiot with working on this shit
Edit: in pic the top fuse is out because i was replacing it at the time
I would like to know how to get rid of the battery possibly? i want this bike as reliable as possible

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 367
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 325
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 358
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 326
Hey guys: quick parts list so you know where I'm at:
hughs handbuilt pma
boyer brandsen micro electronic ignition
ballistic lithium ion battery
lowbrow hologen headlight
dime city tail light
dime city led speedo
NO electronic ignition
Custom wiring harness
was riding the bike and the lights i noticed were off(daytime) 5-10 mins later the battery burst and melted
over charged but why? I ride bikes , ride them well but I'm a complete idiot with working on this shit
Edit: in pic the top fuse is out because i was replacing it at the time
I would like to know how to get rid of the battery possibly? i want this bike as reliable as possible

You want reliability........................I recommend the stock type alternator, use a new 3 phase rectifier, lead/acid battery, and a nos automotive solid state regulator. That's what I've been using for 8 years now, and zero problems. Produces 14.2 volts, and electric starter works everyday.

It doesn't take a faulty reg/rec or alternator to cause a lithium battery like the Ballistic to burn, and Ballistic batteries in particular have caused a lot of grief. Lithium batteries have caused fires in everything from cell phones to jet aircraft. Install a conventional battery and check your charging system; I'd bet even money that it will meter out fine.

Thanks a lot guys> what battery would you recommend then if not ballistic . any particular brand you stand by? do you think i could have burned the stator out or anything from this? i been working straight since it happen just seeing if I'm in for a bunch of sh*t:banghead:

If you got that battery out before it burned up your motorcycle, you probably don't have collateral damage. You won't go wrong with a Yuasa battery.

i appreciate the advice. I'm going to try a shorai and learn these electronics again wanting to end result have a battery on an on/off when kicking it over then flip lights on after setup . i have the will!:yikes:

Lithium batteries need a specific charging regime to work properly - the Shorai and others that are pre-packaged have control electronics within them - and I'd not be surprised if some makes have skimped a bit on the design or quality control.
Mine is kick-only for the moment, and until I put the starter back on I'm using a 7Ah AGM battery that's half the weight and size of the standard one, and can be mounted in any orientation - which is handy, as it's sitting on end in the normal battery box. This 7Ah alarm system battery seems fine so far, as its charging requirements are so close to the normal lead-acid type, I really can't see the bike charging system doing it any harm.

what are your opinions on the capacitor in place of battery

Seems to work well enough for a lot of people, but my only concern is the lack of reserve if the PMA or reg/rec goes phut. At least with a battery, you've got something stored to get you home with. Depends on circumstances - you could ride around for years and not have a failure, and if you're only keeping it local, no biggie if you have to walk home. I prefer to have something to fall back on though, as I've had my share of alternator failures over the years and like having a battery. I know I can get x-miles (or x-hours) in the event of failure.

hey guys, so im back at it , bike was running and battery was just sitting on the seat and fell off . afterwards, i may have messed up by trying to pop start it, but now my fuse keeps blowing when i kickstart it. ?

also didnt realize because i was too excited is that i ws holdinf clutch in while in neutral and when i do it haas no compression, never did this so never noticed this being normal or not .

Last edited:
Back