82 Xs650 Special Float height? Info :)

Yes?

Attachments

• 16641441192776798649208364958371.jpg
    16641441192776798649208364958371.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 47
gggGary, your icon of Barney Fife is actually me. If nothing else I provide entertainment value.

There were no clamps on these. I don't know which end goes to the carb and which to the cock.

Attachments

• 16641444894313010215170933287007.jpg
    16641444894313010215170933287007.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 38
your pic has it right, the fuel should feed in from the side so you can SEE if there is crap in the screen.

I got it running again, which brings me no small measure of happiness, though I haven't tried taking it for a spin - so who knows how messed up it still is. I haven't done any of the timing and gapping yet. You're all using terms I'm not famaliar with. Though I think an x screw is a Phillips. I do know that. I use my hands for other work. I've never been good with mechanical stuff. I muddle through and eventually figure it out - with help!

Regarding the points, I'm like that guy in the movies who has to snap the wires in the proper sequence or... Boom! Which is my way of saying I don't know where the screw is to adjust the gap. None of the screws seem to be connected in any way to the movíng arms. I am not going to turn the wrong screw!

Back to it tomorrow...

I live in Philly. gggGary, jpdevol and 5twins, I'd like to find a way to show my appreciation. One of the ways I'm good with my hands is cooking, so I could prepare a meal(s) for ya'll. Or if accepting a homecooked meal from a guy who put his carburetors in upside down is too risky, I can treat you to the restaurant of your choice.

Congrats! - you're on a very steep learning curve and did well. My best guess is your original problem was the carbs blew out the intake manifold (it happens). That is sometimes caused by ignition timing - hence, the effort on the points. You'll get it.

Thanks for the offer - we mostly work for free - your gratitude is plenty

On fuel filters like that, fuel usually flows in the bell-shaped screen end then out the other end. There should be a "Flow" direction arrow stamped on the filter somewhere .....

FuelFilter2.jpg

FuelFilter3.jpg

That means on yours, the long hose goes to the tank, short hose to the carb. Normally, we don't need or use actual clamps on the fuel lines but rather just little spring clips. They exert enough force to keep the line in place and seal it .....

FuelLineClip.jpg

You can get them here .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/wire-hose-clamps/

Hello everyone. I have not been here since late September because my son got really ill and then winter came and my attention has been elsewhere. If it's possible to pick up where we left off, that would be wonderful. But if you'd rather not, that's okay too. When I put my bike away in the garage last year it was running but now it won't turn over.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I have not. But it has I think plenty of juice. It's only on the 10th try the battery sounds weak and the indicator lights dim.

Should I do it anyway?

Last edited:
The thing is, when the battery gets a bit low, the starter may use all the available power, not leaving any to power the ignition. The bike will crank over but not start. That's why I kick mine when it's pretty cold out. After that 1st start of the day and some run time to warm the thick oil, the electric start works rather easily.

Glad you're back and hope all is well. What battery charger do you have available (volts, amps, maybe pic)?

Thanks!

I don't have one. I was thinking of hooking it up to my Prius battery with jumper cables.
The jump-starting can be a bit risky - causing damage - and won't actually recharge the battery.

If you have the recommended battery YB14L-A2 it should be charged at 12volts, 1.5amps, for about 10 hours. So, you need a 1.5amp charger to do it right.

There are many on the market
I have this one: https://www.denniskirk.com/tecmate/...battery-charger-tm-431.p284003.prd/284003.sku

A cheaper one that may be available locally: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...cq-15cr/11148519-P?searchTerm=Battery+Charger

And.....if gas was left in the carbs over the winter, I would drain the float bowls. Then follow Gary's procedure above (there is a reason he suggested doing it outside;))

Ok. Thanks. My auto mechanic has agreed to charge my battery for me. Is there an easy way to drain the bowls? I really don't want to disassemble everything again. 😒

Should be 10mm brass bolts on the bottom; just loosen them enough to leak fuel into a rag or cup and retighten

Back