A good 2.5 ohm coil

Kingpaul

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good 2.5 ohm 1980-1984 coil available to buy?
The only one I can find is the one on miles xs and I seen a thread on here saying they were the worst things ever made and that most of the time they came broken,

Anybody got any links to ones to buy online?

Thanks

A red Andrews supervolt 2.8 ohm coil will work. Based on your years listed I figure you are running electric ignition and not points.

Follow the link below provided by 5 twins. You can probably find one on ebay. I found mine at dennis kirk.com. Don't worry about the years listed in the photo. They pertain to Harley's. But that coil should work for you. There are threads on here by 5twins and retired gentleman on which coils work.
http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/bmwbobz/media/Electrical/Ignition/Coils.jpg.html

I will assume that you have a TCI.
The $39.95 MikesXS 2.5 ohm coil is the one to avoid.
The MikesXS 74.50 Ultimate High Output coil is spendy but is the only true 2.5 ohm coil available. The specs call for a 2.5 ohm coil. I believe that anything else is incorrect and will not allow the TCI to work properly. It will work, just not entirely the way it should.

By the way, last year I purchased a red "2.8" ohm Andrews coil on eBay because everyone on this forum said it was "close enough." When it came, it had "3.0 ohms" stamped right on it, and it tested out at 3.0 ohms. I was so pissed that I opened a "not as described" case in the eBay Resolution Center. Got my money back, but I paid return shipping, which I thought was a rip-off. A new Andrews red coil is not that much less than the 74.50 Ultimate High Output coil.
Hopefully, one day MikesXS will sell off all of its junky 39.95 2.5 ohm coils and get some better ones made. That used to be a good coil, but it sure isn't now.

Sorry for continuing to rant and hijacking your thread, but here is the response I got back after I opened my eBay "item not as described" case:

"Thank you for your email and I would be happy to help you with that. I just spoke to the technical department at Andrews Products and they said that 3.0 and 2.8 are the same thing; with coils there is a variance and this is normal for ignition coils. If you would like to talk to the mechanics at Andrews Products, you can call them at (847) 759-0190. If you would still like to send the coil back for a return, please advise. 734425

3.0 and 2.8 are the same thing. What bull. There is something wrong with a company that says that, and that advertises a coil as 2.8, and then stamps 3.0 ohms on it.

So Are you running the RED Andrews coil? On what year if so?

I think what they mean is the numbers can vary either way by .2 or .3 and by saying 2.8 and 3.0 are the same thing they mean they hadn't sent you the wrong one and it's just a Monday morning coil vs a Friday afternoon one :)

I returned the red coil and bought the spendy MikesXS one.
The advertised 2.8 ohms is total BS. It is a 3.0 ohm coil. They ALL have 3.0 ohms stamped on them. If I wanted a 3.0 ohm coil, there are plenty of different ones out there to choose from. I chose the Andrews because it said it was 2.8 which was just plain false advertising.
They have been making those red coils for ever, my guess is that in the beginning they really were 2.8 ohms, but that they changed the specs and the advertising never caught up.

Back