A new record price?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
three three who'll give me three three, three! three fifty fifty fifty three fifty! who'll give me four four four! four fifty four fifty! five five five! forty nine once, twice, sold in America a new record $5049.00 for a '78 Special.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...QitemZ110589295877QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles#v4-43

clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley-emoticon-000340-large.gif

$5K for a practically brand new (409 miles) 78 Special? anyworse than dropping $5K on an Ironhead? If ya ask me ( and nobody did ) the Yammer is a much better investment.. it will probably run pretty reliably with a tune-up, oil change and clean carbs.... aN Ironhead would take another $5K just to be rideable, but reliability would still be non-existant

That won't likely be ridden-headed to a collection somewhere. Not a rare bike, but uncommon in low mileage condition.

John

Actually, I plan on doing a TC Bros hard tail, sportster tank, reversed front fender, and white walls. Was more than I wanted to pay, but oh well. Now I'll have a chopped 650 with 400 original miles. :)

Glad you guys like my new project.

I'm not surprised that it sold for that price. Its worth every penny!

By 1978, the design had been perfected about as far as you could go. The 1980 to 83 seat design went too strange looking. The 78/79 Special and also the 78/79 Standard are likely the most desirable models.

Take a 78 Special..................replace the rototiller handlebars with standard bars..............replace rectifier and regulator with new components for reliability............install a Pamco for simplicity...............use a good coil such as an Accel for hot spark..............do a top end re-build, to correct all of the PO's sub-standard workmanship................bingo, you have great running classic............ OK, so I just described my bike:D

Mine is not for sale................but if it was, I would have to have $6000 Can$:yikes:

Actually, I plan on doing a TC Bros hard tail, sportster tank, reversed front fender, and white walls. Was more than I wanted to pay, but oh well. Now I'll have a chopped 650 with 400 original miles. :)

I hope your serious. The keep it stock guys on here will go nuts, I love it!! Chop that ugly ass terd and make it something to look at

Minty-fresh, but still ugly as fuck. I'd chop the shit out of it just to make baby jesus cry.

That's just plain mean. Funny as hell... but mean, man. :laughing:

Don't y'all be mean to the keep it stock guys or you won't have anybody to fix your bike on here when you break it. Awwww I guess that's mean too.

While I appreciate their knowledge, I've kept my scoots running for years without them, and I'm sure most of these guys have or could do the same. They may make it easier for some folks, but it ain't rocket surgery.

Well just keep in mind the price of scrap metal is lagging the price of the xs650 at the present time.

What does that even mean? I'm sure it sounded clever in your head. Of course, you're unintelligible half the time anyway, so no surprise there. :laugh:

Think about it son. Artists has got to be schmart!

But all seriousness aside, I make sure that those who matter to me understand me fine. The rest are welcome to try if they want. Or to be foolish on the internet :)

$5K for a practically brand new (409 miles) 78 Special? anyworse than dropping $5K on an Ironhead? If ya ask me ( and nobody did ) the Yammer is a much better investment.. it will probably run pretty reliably with a tune-up, oil change and clean carbs.... aN Ironhead would take another $5K just to be rideable, but reliability would still be non-existant
Y

You are right on the money with that statement :thumbsup:

Nice bike. I paid $450 for mine. I guess I can get it to look that nice for another $4500? But then I have to worry about it. I did put about $400 more into it but at $950 I can ride it all day and put it away without cleaning it. I would even let you take it for a spin.
NYXS00001.jpg

NYXS00006.jpg

Been reading this thread, and it's gone in many different directions, and has been quite humorous, so I guess I'll chime in. First of all, the only thing that makes this bike special is that it has no miles. That's it. The only thing that would make it worth something is if it had history, like it was owned by Kenny Roberts as a pit bike or something else stupid like that. (collectors love that stuff) Otherwise, it's just another XS650. Yamaha made a shitload of them. They weren't hand made by Japanese monks on a mountain top. Secondly, $5000 is also not a lot of money. It's not like the PO hit the lottery. You figure this family paid, what, $2000 for it new? $100 bucks a year for something that never got used or enjoyed.... Because that's what it is... A motorcycle is, first, a mode of transportation, and secondly, a toy to be played with. A motorcycle that is not ridden is like a guitar that is never played. This one was never enjoyed. Unless these people that owned it kept it in the living room as a piece of art, and got their pleasure from staring at it. (it happens) I don't know about you guys, but I get more pleasure from riding my motorcycle than dreaming about how much it is going to be worth if I sell it. That's just money. I'll get more of that later. And I'm not saving it all for when I'm old and can't enjoy it. I hope the new owner realizes this and rides it. Just my 2 cents anyway.

BTW, XJ, you lost me with the scrap metal stuff, too.(?)

Back