ABS Seat Pan Project

Jpwhit1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
after seeing some of the seat shops making pans out of ABS I thought I would give it a shot. I used butane torch to soften plastic to get bend, a table saw to notch, and a grinder clamped to bench for additional shaping. 1/4 was the thickest available. I used ABS adhesive to stick pieces together. All together this was a very easy process. The ABS pieces I bought were 1/4 x 9" x 25" and cost 15.00 each. I figure a local auto upholstery outfit will cover for 50.00. Screws are stainless allen head that I need to exchange for shorter ones.
70393b194f957f1ced59fd3a5ee22fb9_zpsdxb5kj4z.jpg

850daf0109e6492b58726eee0f72f4d3_zpsjdmbyeji.jpg

5cf95f74132c7a75382e3da387f15b21_zpsra9paa7u.jpg

Nice job! Looks great....I'm guessing you're going to cover everything back from the front tank mount? Or is the whole thing getting covered?

I'm curious about the front of the seat where the tank hold down mount is... Will you need to pull the tank up to get the seat off?

Just a though, but maybe there's as way to notch out that front so it slides into it, and then held down by the tank...so just loosening the bolt will give you room to slide the seat off, and not have to pull the tank? Unless you have a different tank you're using and all that gets covered?

Looking forward to seeing it all come together. Looks like a clean build you're working on.

Yep, just hadn't done that yet.
I'll post more pix when it's covered.

Hi jpw,
looks like it'll be a nice seat when it's done.
You've a plan to hold the front of the seat down now that you've notched the base to fit round the tank's tail attachment?
I'd hate to think that you'd built yourself an on-board nacker trap.

nice. Yes, I would put two more screws just like you did in the back, up front.
HA! nacker-trap....good one!

I paid 80.00 for the leather and the shop charged me 150.00. Really cool guy in Eugene, Or. I don't what he used for foam, it's reasonably stiff. I have him the stock seat to use as template. Another shop in town quoted me 400.00.

Back