Advance Locating Pin

wood47

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't read Hugh's Pamco write up before I bought the parts and naturally left something out. I went back to Mike's to purchase the $1.10 Advance Locating Pin, but can't wrap my head around paying over $12 shipping from a town a few hours away.

Are there any other options for the pin? Can I use the pin used to hold the oil pump rotor on or grind it down? I have an extra and if the circumference fits, I have no problem grinding it down and using that (I assume it's longer than the original).

That pesky little part, as the name suggests, only locates, in other words it has no mechanical load in operation. So, I would say anything that fits the hole in the cam and the slot in the ATU will do the job. You might want to put a bit of locktite blue on it though.

Well, I didn't read Hugh's Pamco write up before I bought the parts and naturally left something out. I went back to Mike's to purchase the $1.10 Advance Locating Pin, but can't wrap my head around paying over $12 shipping from a town a few hours away.

Are there any other options for the pin? Can I use the pin used to hold the oil pump rotor on or grind it down? I have an extra and if the circumference fits, I have no problem grinding it down and using that (I assume it's longer than the original).

Well, if you already had an advancer and were just replacing it, then you would have the pin. If you bought the advance rod, it comes with the two pins. If you bought the complete kit including the PAMCO and the advance parts, the kit comes with three locating pins plus the two already on the advance rod, so if you are missing the pin I would suggest contacting MikesXS and they will probably send you some pins if you bought the complete kit or the advance rod.

You're right on the money...but unfortunately I bought the engine in pieces. I had an advance rod with pins installed and an advance unit, but no locator pin. Presumably never had it or lost shortly after I got it. I'm kicking myself for not reading ahead and buying what I needed accordingly. I didn't buy the full kit.

wood47,

Well, I know it hurts, but the shipping will be more like $9 than $12 so with the cost of gas and your time it would cost you more to ride over there. :banghead: Just throw a couple more items in the order so you feel better about it.:thumbsup:

Find a drill bit that fits the hole, use a cut off blade in your dremel cut off some of the shank to the length you need, done no shipping charges.

wood47,

Well, if you are not in a hurry, I coincidentaly have a few on order and I can just mail you one in an envelope when they get here. Perhaps someone else could do the same.

Pete, you're the man. However, I'm just going to take your previous advice and make myself feel better by purchasing something else that I "need". That'll teach me. ;)

Might as well buy a couple of the pins, they're easy to lose.

MFJustin, it's appreciated, but I already sucked it up and bought three or four of them. I had to after I lost one of the clips that hold the advance springs on to the fifth dimension (sensing a trend...).

However, found out the pin that holds oil pump rotor on is a perfect fit. A little long, but when cut to size, fits perfectly.

Back