ADVICE!!! Newbie here, NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!

zgoettsc

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently become interested in selling the 150cc Chinese scooter that I have to buy a small, beginner size real bike. I began looking on craigslist and found this bike.

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3812020471.html

Any thoughts on if this looks like a good bike? I am looking for something low maintenance, although I do like dinking around with mechanical things, so if something breaks I would be open to the idea of fixing it myself. Are parts even available for bikes like this, this many years old???

Is the price good?

Should I look for anything in particular if I go to test drive it?

Another option would be...

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3819255738.html

Better? Worse? I am new here so I dont know. Please help!!

I am looking to spend about $2,500 max, so if you can suggest something better I would appreciate that too...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!:):):)
-Zack

If you're looking for low maintenance, the 650 isn't it. Buy the Honda.

I have to vote for the 650, it looks good in the picture, well taken care of and at a price that seems reasonable. I picked up a CX500 custom basket case a couple months ago and have been reading the cx500 forum, and there are as many problems peculiar to that bike as with the Yamaha, including stator issues and ignition issues, but less aftermarket support and a lot of no longer available parts. Of course by the time you make a decision, the 650 will be sold.

That CX is Mint, not a basket case. They are very reliable bikes when cared for. If I had it to spend and the choice was those two, I'd buy the CX, but then again, I already have a poorly running XS, and 2 other bikes!
That being said, for 2500 bucks, you can buy a good used SV650 and bypass a couple of decades of age on the bike, and get into the radial tire world.

Cx500 can go 50,000+ miles if well cared for... although the starter is known for going bad, and you have to remove the engine to fix it.

The xs650 has more aftermarket parts than just about any other UJM. Therefore, a decent mechanic can overcome just about any problem a PO may have caused. Past owners are the biggest problem with old bikes.

Cx500 is water cooled, xs650 is aircooled.

Apples vs oranges.

That being said, for 2500 bucks, you can buy a good used SV650 and bypass a couple of decades of age on the bike, and get into the radial tire world.
I agree with this, If you want something really reliable, buy a modern bike. If you want the Yamaha or the Honda, I would buy the XS. In my opinion the Honda is a watercooled fake Moto Guzzi. :D ( yes, this is complete subjectively...)

You can make the Honda look good but it's a group effort.

_MG_9260%252C1.jpg

+3 if you just want to ride go modern.

Back