after market case covers

the people who look at them and talk shit I can gaurentee half never lifted a finger to take on the challenge of building their own custom bike... They are the ones who think taht going to the local (name brand of choice) bike shop and buying some chome these and bolt on thats, thinks they customize their bike.. Who freakin cares what they think!!! Take pride in what you've done and own it!!

i agree... and were not spending 10 to 30,000 to see someone else in your town with the same bike. im proud to have the badges all over.

Counterpoint, Way back when I had a real POS Corvette, it had been beat to death, and it showed it. Took it to the corvette coral at a Road America race weekend and you would not believe how offended the true believers were that the car even existed. And it seemed the "corvette girlfriends" were the worst. Yes I had fun with that. Funny but we all are influenced by what "others" think. I have a Honda Shadow which is a good looking retro cruiser. I see the lookers and sometimes the hmmfs when they spy the Honda name plate. :shrug:

I've got the Special... and I will be removing the Yamaha on the tank. I will probably put another Yamaha badge on, but I just don't really care for that particular badge. The Special on the side covers may go too... just because the script doesn't seem to go with what I'm wanting to do. I've got no problem with the case covers though... but I might be tempted to make the swap if there was one with the Tuning Fork logo. It might actually be really cool to work in one of the really old logos, like the Yamaha Veneer logo, but I doubt they ever put that on a bike.

It's usually just the younger guys on ego trips who give others a ration of BS over the brand they ride. I just tell that unless their Hog or Sporty is pre AMF then they're riding a pile of imported Asian parts with a US brand that they were dumb enough to pay extra for-- that ends the BS.

Like most of the older members here, I've owned my share of H-Ds (2 pre AMF) and loved them all but until American motorcycles are again actually 100% American, no one has any room to talk.

PS. I walked into a local hardware store yesterday carrying the clutch cover from my XS to get some new cap screws and one of the guys who work there said, "No wonder you're working on it, it's a Yamaha."

I replied, "No, I'm working on it because it's older than you are."

Idiot had nothing more to say. And he doesn't even own a motorcycle. His boss is a long time friend and I've been doing business there for almost 40 years so I'll let it pass.

Last edited:
Oh... I should say, I'm not embarrassed by the make or model. Nor have I ever been given any trouble for any bike I've ever ridden. Any change wouldn't be to mask the bike.

I too changed my bike's style to British. I re-contoured the seat to look BSA. I do own a 1963 BSA 650. Very similar bikes except BSA has pushrods for the valves. Check my albums and you can see I proudly display the Yamaha logos. Tony C

Tonyc - those pics sum up my feelings. That is a classy bike. I can tell you're proud of the Yamaha and I would be too. The big gold block letter emblem on the tank might not have had the same visual effect.

For me, it's not just yamaha though... there are many different makes and models through time that had badges, emblems, graphics, bright purple frames, etc... that might not have stood the test of time or look a little outdated.

Thought I'd toss this on here would be really cool with gold leaf and black outlines....
pict_1898_01.gif

It's an 1898 Yamaha logo..... Like you didn't know that already grin.

Tonyc - those pics sum up my feelings. That is a classy bike. I can tell you're proud of the Yamaha and I would be too. The big gold block letter emblem on the tank might not have had the same visual effect.

For me, it's not just yamaha though... there are many different makes and models through time that had badges, emblems, graphics, bright purple frames, etc... that might not have stood the test of time or look a little outdated.
Yes indeed, case in point, 1971 BSA 650. I turned many of those into choppers back in the 70's, mainly because the factory saw fit to paint the frame gray. Ugly as hell. You won't find too many of those around.

Thought I'd toss this on here would be really cool with gold leaf and black outlines....
pict_1898_01.gif

It's an 1898 Yamaha logo..... Like you didn't know that already grin.
oh, yeah. those are everywere.(sarcasm)
reminds me of the flying chicken on firebirds.

It's usually just the younger guys on ego trips who give others a ration of BS over the brand they ride. I just tell that unless their Hog or Sporty is pre AMF then they're riding a pile of imported Asian parts with a US brand that they were dumb enough to pay extra for-- that ends the BS.

Like most of the older members here, I've owned my share of H-Ds (2 pre AMF) and loved them all but until American motorcycles are again actually 100% American, no one has any room to talk.

PS. I walked into a local hardware store yesterday carrying the clutch cover from my XS to get some new cap screws and one of the guys who work there said, "No wonder you're working on it, it's a Yamaha."

I replied, "No, I'm working on it because it's older than you are."

Idiot had nothing more to say. And he doesn't even own a motorcycle. His boss is a long time friend and I've been doing business there for almost 40 years so I'll let it pass.

Couldn't agree more!:thumbsup:

Back