Air Filters

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The bad pods are the K&N style, the type with the pleated screen filter element. Yes, yours from Mike's are that style and I would replace them. The UNI filters can also be had in a pod style. What makes them better is their smooth foam construction. The problem with the pleated type is the pleats disrupt the air flow and make it rough. Your CV carbs rely on a smooth air flow to operate (lift) the slide correctly. The problem is most prevalent in the upper midrange, say around 4500 RPM. The pleated pods will induce stumbling or break-up under heavy throttle applications. If you're going to run pods, the straight foam UNI version works best .....

1GjnNlo.jpg

Your idle seems fine but like I said, the pleated pods have their biggest detrimental effect at higher RPMs.

The bad pods are the K&N style, the type with the pleated screen filter element. Yes, yours from Mike's are that style and I would replace them. The UNI filters can also be had in a pod style. What makes them better is their smooth foam construction. The problem with the pleated type is the pleats disrupt the air flow and make it rough. Your CV carbs rely on a smooth air flow to operate (lift) the slide correctly. The problem is most prevalent in the upper midrange, say around 4500 RPM. The pleated pods will induce stumbling or break-up under heavy throttle applications. If you're going to run pods, the straight foam UNI version works best .....

1GjnNlo.jpg

Your idle seems fine but like I said, the pleated pods have their biggest detrimental effect at higher RPMs.

Thank you, 5twins.

I have noticed stumbling occasionally. Not under load but usually when cruising along, just enough to grab your attention. I can't really speak to an RPM range though as I am without a tach.

Would 5" be overkill?

https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-U...s=uni+filter+2.25&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Last edited:
No, 5" ones would be fine. With a pod, bigger is better, you get more surface area. Mine are the 4" version but that's the longest that will fit in front of the battery box. For oil, don't use the special foam filter oil, it's too thick and may clog them. Just use a 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil. I bought a quart of the cheapest straight 30 wt. Walmart had for this. I use the rest in my oil cans for lubing stuff and in my lawn mower engine.

No, 5" ones would be fine. With a pod, bigger is better, you get more surface area. Mine are the 4" version but that's the longest that will fit in front of the battery box. For oil, don't use the special foam filter oil, it's too thick and may clog them. Just use a 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil. I bought a quart of the cheapest straight 30 wt. Walmart had for this. I use the rest in my oil cans for lubing stuff and in my lawn mower engine.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you apply the oil? Inside, outside, both? Do you just rub it in with your hands?

Just rub it on the outside, it will soak in, excess will drip off eventually. I "paint" it on with an old 1" paint brush. Well actually I have a box of these, good for all sorts of tasks .....

https://www.harborfreight.com/36-piece-1-in-industrial-grade-chip-brushes-61491.html

On sale and with the 20% off coupon, they're only $6 or $7. Cut the bristles down so they're stiffer and they make nice little parts cleaning brushes.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I have ordered the filters and I have some 30 wt oil already at home.

How frequently do you oil the filters? Is it simply based on if they feel dry?

Yes, I clean and re-oil them every few years or if they start looking really dirty. But, I don't live in a real dusty area so they don't seem to get real dirty. Your location is probably similar to mine (I'm in WNY).

Yes, I clean and re-oil them every few years or if they start looking really dirty. But, I don't live in a real dusty area so they don't seem to get real dirty. Your location is probably similar to mine (I'm in WNY).

Perfect!
Seems to be a few NYers on here, good to know I have some guys fairly close by with a wealth of knowledge.

Back