Any guesses as to what caused this?

The sprocket bolt was only the first part of it. The axle shifting on me was after I had that part fixed. Marty did you ever figure out what caused the bolt to back out on you? That still has me stumped, the axle and adjusters have been figured out.

Marty did you ever figure out what caused the bolt to back out on you? That still has me stumped, the axle and adjusters have been figured out.

My chain was very worn in places and there was some visible wear on the rear sprocket. I replaced both sprockets and the chain with top shelf stuff from 650 Central. I also replaced a couple of the rear sprocket bolts. Since then, I have had no issue. The chain had very sloppy places, and tight places. I had it adjusted to the tight places. I believe the chain was the biggest player. I always change sprockets with the chain.

It all started when I swapped the Heritage spoke wheel with a SH cast wheel. The sprocket looked fine, so I just left in on there and headed out on a long trip. It took several hundred miles, and you know the rest.

36183_1434204731378_250994_n.jpg

I have always used the old german torque method of goodntight on the rear axle nut and then move it a little either way to get the cotter pin through.

Back