any plumbers here? or remodelors, handyman... i have a question???

nkymain485

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So during a recent bathroom renovation we had to cut the gas fumes pipe i believe is what its for... that runs out the top of the house.... no water really runs in it but it connects to the main pipes... maybe its for gravity im not for sure...anyways we had to cut it and put in a 45 closer further down so the new tub would fit...so after putting up new drywall and mounting and painting everything... i find that when it rains a small amount of water goes down this pipe and it leaks at a seam where we put a coupler.... the pipe is rather hard to get to from the basement but has a big enough hole i can stick my hand up and feel where it leaks... but no way to get a saw up in there to cut it off.... so i have come up with a few ideas to get around not ripping down all the dry wall... first i was thinking about putting a45 on the pipe coming out the roof to stop rain from going in but it still might... also tried looking for a rain cap of some sort but to be honest id rather do it right.... so i found this flex pipe usually used for pools that i could def feed down the wall from the attic to the basement and then connect the two... i just aint sure that this is an acceptable way to do this... i know its a long shot on here but most are pretty handy so i figured it was worth a try

- the vent has several functions...
to break the vacuum and allow fast drainage-when you flush the toilet or empty the bathtub you've got a plug of water that wants to scream down that pipe-if there's a vacuum, it can pull the water out of all the traps in the house​

provides for relief of sewer gases​

admits oxygen for aerobic sewage digestion​

- should have a cover on it that prevents birds, squirrels and leaves etc from entering but doesnt seal it airtight
- the main leak is usually associated with the roof seal and comes down the outside of the pipe
- when my house was built they ran the vent down through the laundry and heating room, this is a prick as i get a lot of condensation on it
- joints shouldnt leak unless water is sitting there and the seal isnt tight, there is pressure in the system, or the flanges are upside down
- if you try to bodge this you run the risk of getting moisture into the structures and/or mould

- on the other hand i have carpentry and cabinetmaking as trades, not plumbing:bike:

Surprising you would get a leak from what essentially is a vent line. I would agree with INXS in that it is outside the pipe. Especially where you say that it happens when it rains. Not much water can fall into a 4 inch opening.

If you can feel the joint with your hand you can try coating it with PVC cement. I assume you forgot to glue the coupling? I agree with the others though that not much water can get out of a an assembled joint from rain getting in at the top. Is this the main vent or a secondary vent to the main stack? what size is the pipe?

hmmm ok well tom ill check it out with a hose on the roof and figure out for sure.... i get what your saying about a little hole but it only does it when it rains really hard.... i def glued the joints and dont see how it leaked either.... its a 3 inch pipe btw... and its the main vent... if it does leak from the roof im sure the hose water will show it for sure....

May have loosened the seal around the pipe up on the roof when you were cutting the pipe to put the coupler in. A bit of silicone around the pipe where it extends out through the roof flashing/flange should do it.
Handyman by neccesity here.

just have a buddy dump a 5 gallon bucket down the pipe while your in the basement you should be able to tell if its coming from a joint then. using a hose by its self to test the pipe might not yield correct results.
also you should have a cap on it anyway as stated already

just have a buddy dump a 5 gallon bucket down the pipe while your in the basement you should be able to tell if its coming from a joint then. using a hose by its self to test the pipe might not yield correct results.
also you should have a cap on it anyway as stated already

Better yet, have a buddy pour water around the roof flashing , not in the pipe and see if water runs down the outside of the pipe into the basement . This will tell you for sure if it's in or out leakage.

Ken

i'm a plumber. are you sure it only leaks when it rains?? sounds like the leak is below the top of the tub< is that correct? probly leaking when the tub is drained. even a joint not glued on a vent stack would probly not leak in a heavy rain, so i doubt its from the rain. or like posted before its runnimg down the outside of the pipe. it might not be that joint at all just thats where the water rest from a leak from some where else. hows the caulk job on the tub? is it a shower also?? its hard to help with out seeing it for myself. just like when familly calls from 2 hours away and wants to know where the thingy goes into the whatchyamacallit to stop the water from spraing out of the faucet!! i tell them to call a plumber!! haha pm me if you need any more help.

Back