Any SR500 guys out there starting question and pilot jet

OHRider

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Have a major starting problem. What are your starting routine. Where you put the TDC mark?

Also what pilot are you using in VM36 carb. I have 25 right now.

thanks

Last edited:
Have a major starting problem. What are your starting routine. Where you put the TDC mark?

thanks

I had the XT500 and I believe the starting routine was the same. Slowly kick the starter through until you come up on compression, then bring the kick starter back up to the top of the stroke and from here you can do one of two things.
1. Use the window on the end of the cam….(edit) then pull the compression release and slowly push the kick lever until a shiny spot appears in the window, then let the kick lever come back to the top and give it a good stomp.
Or
2. (edit) then pull the compression release and Slowly press the kick lever down about halfway, then return to the top of the stroke and give it a good stomp.

Either way positions it the same…ready to start.

Last edited:
Here’s a video of a cold start procedure for an SR500. He does it differently. He just pulls the compression release and pushes the kick starter lever until the shiny spot appears in the window.
let go of the compression release and kick!

I used the window at first but eventually moved to Mailman's 2nd method, and stopped looking at the window. I did find that the bike started better on the centerstand. On the sidestand, it was pretty easy to foul the plug.

With the XT500, it's possible to easily get a spark when you test with the spark plug removed. However, with a spark plug in, and then using a second plug attached to the coil wire to check for spark, you may find that it is much harder to generate a spark. This is less of an issue with the SR500 which produces a spark much easier due to its electronic ignition, but I'd start there.
It would help if you said what your starting procedure was, and what carb you have.
A hot start is a whole 'nother animal. First, master the cold start, then we can move on to the hot start.
Obviously, a beginner should set up the white mark in the window before kicking.

I know this won't help any, but my SR500 came with a very expensive aftermarket Mikuni TM 36-68 pumper carb, and it starts like a dream. I've been all through the impossible to start dance with more than one XT500.

Had an SR500, years ago. It was a first kick starter. Tickle the decomp to move the indicator into the little window in the cam box, then one full kick. Choke lever down for first start of the day. Sometimes took two or even three kicks - horror - if warm. Needed just a tiny crack of throttle for a warm start.

The indicator shows as the engine is just past tdc. @Mailman's second method puts the engine in the same position.

Also what pilot are you using in VM36 carb. I have 25 right now

Back