Anyone change tunnel depth (shallower) on a tank/

Kups650

wally
Reaction score
Just a thought. I thought about making my wassall tank sit up a little higher. I was thinking of adding my own tunnel or maybe just a few pieces across to raise it up and change the mounts. Its an old one with the front mounts at the side...

It will be a while but thinking...

i have a 68 (?) sporty that has a deep tunnel. I wanted mine higher so I just made the front mounts aproppriate. and the rear mount stock sleaved thru the backbone.
12-vi.jpg

Last edited:
i have not personally chopped a tank. but a friend of mine has now chopped 2 tanks for me. and i can tell you, it isnt easy. what angus67 did is much easier. and gets the desired effect.

however, sometimes you want a bit more, since you will be raising the tank you might want to get that extra gas by lowering the tunnel. i also like the way it looks.

my tank that was chopped is peanut tank from a 74 sportster, narrowed the tank and lowered the tunnel. this was done on a sportster chop i did last year this time. the same guy also chopped a stock xs650 tank on a project that i am working on with my brother. that proved to be much more difficult than the peanut tank. he narrowed it up a good bit, and i think he lowered the tunnel a bit too.

i have a peanut tank i got for a build i was working on a while back and ive decided to narrow the tank and lower the tunnel. i'll give it a shot, since it was only 100 bucks if i screw up im not out a ton of money.

If you aren't interested in more fuel capacity, then I'd just go with modifying the mounts. I did a full tunnel build to fit peanut on an SR500 (big backbone) and although not extremely difficult it's not the most fun. If you just do the mounts then you don't need to worry about getting a good seal on all the welds if your skill is not great either.

Looks good. I am not concerned about more capacity. I may add sheet metal to the tunnel front and back to hide the gap. Thanks!

Back