Anyone in the St Louis Area?

fullercameron

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any members out there in the St. Louis, Mo area. Got the bike put back together but experiencing some electrical issues. This is the first bike I have ever really worked on and I am pretty close to completely in the dark when it comes to electrical work.

Have been reading everything I can get my hands on but I tend to have an easier time when I can walk through something with someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Nobody I know around here is interested in this stuff so I'd be happy to buy a few beers for the chance to get some tips.

im 70 miles south of stl and im pretty good with electrical and i have a great manual for the xs650 I may be able to help a little

Since I am not very familiar with electrical, I just bought a new harness from mike's xs and replaced the old one. I had no idea what the condition of the old one was and I had the bike apart.

Everything has been run and connected and I thought I was in pretty good shape. Hooked up a new battery the other day and got zip. Battery definitely had voltage but I didn't seem to be getting power to anything. Had a question about safety relay wiring, but even if the relay was wired wrong it seems like the lights, horn, etc would be working.

Thinking that the problem could lie in the ignition but not entirely sure how to start the process of testing the components and figuring out what the hell is going on.

I generally understand the ideas behind these things, I just have to stand there with the book in my hand going line by line to do this stuff and in the end, when it still doesn't work I'm not quite sure that what I did was actually right.

Seems to me like the things I know how to do best, I learned from working with someone who had been doing it for 20 years. Considerably less head-to-wall contact.

Back