Anyone riding today ?

Rode yesterday. First 80º day, nice and sunny, humid. Took a lazy 50-ish mile loop mostly on back road blacktops. Too dang hot in a leather jacket, but not bad as long as ya kept moving.

All the riding I do is on back roads . Can't stand highway riding on a naked bike , need a big heavy bagger for that and you still get blown around . Got some nice hilly and some twisty roads close to home. Got some with brand new black top and a few stretches where I can open it up and blow the carbon out once in a while. Feels good to have a bike on the road again , even if I can only stand short rides. ( Still got a long way to go before I am healed up and got a bunch more surgery coming up too ) .

Been rideing the XJ600 SecaII for almost a year now, and it's a nce bike, but I'm looking forward to getting the improved XS650SG back on the road!

Just barely looked at the bikes today.
But yesterday was the last of a 7 day 2,207 mile trip.
Most mileage for one day was 470 the least 115. 5 states.
3 days in mist, sprinkles or rain.
The highest oil temp 280 degrees the lowest (constant running) 230.
Best mileage was around 40 mpg traveling 60 mph.
The worst 30 traveling against a 20mph head wind @ 80-85.
Still have a starter seal leak, the re-soldered glass fuse clips and changed oil in the dirt on the road with no torque wrench. On day two the right road peg turn back where it folded back instead of up on day four it turned back up. wtf bwhahaha road gremlins maybe. I don't have a bell lost it a couple of years ago. Day 5 (2nd dodging the rain) it started dying at stops unless you tickled the throttle. Started right back up so no harm no foul. Continued through day 6 till the end of the day then. . . . . no problems.
I did drain the float bowls at the start of day six but it continued to die at stops regardless of type. Signs, lights or to click a pic. The only place it REALLY bothered me was the stop at the Hot Springs Harley dealers. There I clutched and reached up to kill the ignition while coasting into a parking spot like I had planned it all. I did remember to kick start it when we left to remind them how real bikes work.
All in all been having a great time riding. Now the party is over and the only seat time I will get is the commute.
My only regrets were not being able to hook up with twomany or avenue.
Maybe another day, it won't be my last time in TX.
I only spotted two XS's while on the road.
The first was just a special fame with ape hangers painted yellow somebody had as yard art. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic of it.
The second is in the pic. Do ya see it?

O

Attachments

• 650 at the bar.jpg
    650 at the bar.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 168
No cannonballer here. I'm not even an ironbutt-er.
Sheepskin and gel pad required 4 me.

Yeah extended is right. And apparently exclusive. I didn't see a way to park my bitsa next to it for a group shot.

WER..................sounds like you had a great trip:thumbsup: Did you see any tornados? Do you have good rain gear, and did you stay dry?

Only 40 mpg.................you should tune up that badboy and get up to 50 mpg:shrug:

Hi RG, yes we did have a great time. Since Dad passed the brothers have been getting together on Memorial Day. Gives a chance to take care of families resting places and an excuse for us to get to ride that the wives agree to. This year we rode #3 bro back home to Del Rio, TX. Dipped our toes in the Rio Grande. I had always imagined it to be a dirty(muddy) shallow bit of water. I had it 100% bassackwards. It is fast flowing, deep in places and COLD. Didn't put any rain gear on, did get wet but not soaked as we would find a place to hide till the hard stuff passed. Didn't see any tornados, don't want to. I grew up in Caddo and Canadian counties in OK, so I've seen enough twisted wind for a lifetime.
The carbs are running a tich rich in an attempt to lower oil temps.
But only noticeable with a WOT burble. Can't power through it though so am thinking about dropping the mains one size after I try different air filters next weekend.
I did have a bit of wind drag considering the windshield and sidebags.
This is how we stayed dry. . . . .
That and riding slower if we caught the rain and faster if it caught us.

Attachments

• 05-29-13_1524.jpg
    05-29-13_1524.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 146
I know this is an old thread but I am still getting rides in when I can . Hell, I haven't posted on here for months, bike has been trouble free and we are still getting some good days here .

I went to town this morning (in the CAR, I'm no masochist...) and the thermometer on the dash said 27º.

Imagine my surprise when I saw not one but TWO guys riding motorcycles. I dunno what the wind chill is at 27º with a 50MPH wind, and I don't WANT to know.

Those dudes were nucking futz.

Any pussy can ride when it's warm and dry. Bikers will ride at any possible opportunity. That's why God made pakboots with felt liners and ski gloves.

Well, I guess I better stock up on Midol then, cuz there's no way in hell I'm riding in sub-freezing temperatures.

I ride for fun, not to prove my wedding tackle is bigger than the next guy's.

Any pussy can ride when it's warm and dry. Bikers will ride at every opportunity. That's why God made pakboots and ski gloves.

Well hell Downeaster, I guess I'm gonna have to stock up on the Midol too!:laugh:
I went out and touched the bike,then went back inside.:D

Back