Backfire sounds cool but.........not THAT cool.

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey.

After first upstart since re-build, my tracker acts funny. Haven´t looked into it that much yet but I´ve made two difference since before and that´s to plug off the vacuum connection between petcock/carbs and got rid of the stuffing inside the mufflers = straight pipes.

The reasons could be anything at this stage but it`s popps and backfires. Sparkplugs seems to be wet so it´s running rich. Before the re-bulid they were nice...always.

So first thing first:
I would like to run it on prime only.....but maybe that´s not possible?? I think I hear a suction noice from the tank, that has not been there before.

Guess this is one of these "long-running success" but I start with the "vacuum":laugh:

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB169483.JPG
    FB169483.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 124
  • FB169492.JPG
    FB169492.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 133
It will run off the prime setting but you'll have no reserve. Since the vacuum is gone, mid or forward can be your off position.

Running very rich will put gas into the exhaust and it will randomly ignite with a huge bang. If your plug is wet with gas, then that's it.

check your carb sync and for air leaks at the exhaust pipe head junction and pipes to mufflers, be aware gutting the mufflers may change your jettig requirements.... I prefer cross connecting the intake barbs seems to smooth out that last little bit of carb sync, kind of a poor mans YICS (yamaha induction control system)

Attachments

• S6300297.JPG
    S6300297.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 151
Hello.

I´ll try the cross connecting method to see if there´ll be any better.

But today I went back to the garage and fired the bike up, I choked it for about 40 sec. After a few minutes the idle seemed to settle down and she ran fine. No popping what so ever:shrug:

But as soon as I twist the throttle (good response) to mid-rpm and back to idle it still revs for 5-15 sec. Sometimes I need to lower the idle on the adjustment screw to get it down to about 1000-1300 rpm.

Guess it could be a couple of issues with the carbs, I,ve only clean them good but no new gaskets, jets O-ring etc.

Do I need to hire a "carb-guru" by now??:laugh:

/BigBoreSwede

Back