Backroader's 1978 XS Special - "For your eyes only"

Backroader

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, I rolled it out today onto the driveway and fired it up... I need to fix the tach... the cable is spinning at the engine, however it's sticking at the head...showing 1500rpm and will not go over 2000 rpm.... small item to deal with, other than that it's a brand new bike... need to put the mirrors on and take it to a local dealer to have it "mechanically certified".

SDC10305.jpg

I have cut my budget on this bike until I finish the farkles on the BMW.

With the high cost to insurre the XS I will only get to ride it ocassionally. It might be going up for sale in the summer.

It might be going up for sale in the summer.

- thats something i find very hard to do...have only ever managed to do it a handful of times, always regretted it, oddly the ones i should have got rid of, like the H1A, i didnt

- thats something i find very hard to do...have only ever managed to do it a handful of times, always regretted it, oddly the ones i should have got rid of, like the H1A, i didnt

It's tough to spend a lot of time in effort on a bike, like this one, given it's virtually brand new, with only 2197 KMs on it, however the Manitoba Public Insurance is not friendly towards motorcycles and getting it on the road is going to be brutal. ($1400.00 per annum)

I got rid of my 1984, 750 Virago, in show room condition, and still regret it today..... I need a show room, "the boy with the most toys win".

$1400 ? Strewth! Thought it was bad here but ive got all 3 insured together for £120!
Thats a hell of a clean bike , dont sell it...Or if you must then can you ship it over to me bit by bit ..Might take a couple of years :wink2:

The weather has finally gone above freezing here in Winnipeg and gave me a chance to run the bike up a little...got it good and warm and was able to set the carbs a little...that got rid of the "throttle bogging"...it seems to sound pretty good. Still have to pull the tach off and remove some of that 32 year grease, if this is possible, that is if there is grease or is it all magnet controlled ???...

I plan to take the bike to my BMW/Yamaha for the safety inspection next week and at the same time, I will ask " if they will perform the initial warranty inspection and adjustment" LOL

Nice, no, they are magnetic. The old grease has probably got stuck somewhere on the drag cup and impeding the operation. Easy enough fix, just use a good 1/4 inch flat blade screw driver to 'peal' the metal band away from the cup of the gauge. Just be carefull of the glass, don't drop it.Then just give it a good, gentle cleaning & a light lube on the pivot's.While you got it apart, check the screw's that hold the gauge face, they come loose quite often. If you mess up the metal trim that holds the glass, don't fret, just use a 7/8 " wide piece of 4" shrink tube. Works great & easy to get . Pamco Pete posted that repair. The shrink tube I got was from Cable & Wire mangement.com. Another Pamco Pete find.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hot damn, those 78 specials are great looking bikes. I got one myself. Don't sell it, or you will regret it. Yeah, Manitoba sure has expensive insurance................need to vote in a different party.

Here's a pic of mine..............runs like a new bike.

Attachments

• DSC01009 mod2.jpg
    DSC01009 mod2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 143
RG, sure is lookin' good. I 'see' you been using that good ol' elbow grease. Maybe someday I'll get mine that clean.Alot of work, though. I had a friend off the clearcoat on my left engine cover. Told him to go real easy with the wire brush. He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, thats for sure. Cover is full of pit's & gouges now. Well, I've spent 2 hours so far sanding with 400 wet paper. It's better, but along way to go. The pit's are so deep that paint won't cover them. Bought engine enamel(Duplicolor) to try to 'cheat', but gonna have to continue to wet sand for a while.:shrug::cool::cool:

I would prefer not to paint, so a sanding I will go. I was trying to be lazy with the paint, because I do know the work thats involved, but the finish I want is gonna be either the natural aluminium or wrinkle paint. Of course, I change my mind quite often, so,,,

Found a blank chrome plate today and thought I would make a personalized plate for the XS.... just for show.... my Canadian brothers will understand and anyone else that followed the Olympics this year..... Eh! (photo is poor quality though....)

SDC10348.jpg

Happy Day...the XS passed the Manitoba Motorcycle Safety Inspection.... "a provincial cash grab"...

The mechanic, looked at the bike, said "like new"..... $55.00 please. You are good to go....now I have to fess up and pay $1400.00 for insurance to drive it ........

Back