bad oil pump, what would You do?

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am resurrecting an engine.

pump.jpg

Oil pump housing with bent shaft. Obviously this needs to be replaced.

pumpsurface.jpg

This is the problem. The pic shows the oil pump mating surface in the right side engine cover. It's not just scored -- it is also a bit "torn" where the edge of the pump rotor dug into the mating surface.
This is by far the worst side cover pump surface I have ever seen. Should I just use another right side cover? What would you do?

Bonus question: What the heck causes the oil pump shaft in the first pic to get bent like that? I've seen it before, but never as bad as this one.

your that guy selling the thermometer dip sticks on ebay! sweeeet, i wanna order one of those very soon.

sorry Im not much help, but I can't imagine what would have done that either.

Kent, thanks for the interest in my dipstick-thermometers. You can also order one here for a couple of bucks cheaper than my eBay ad:
http://www.handspiral.com/ThermoDipStick.htm

As for the bad oil pump surface on my engine side cover, I'm beginning to think the simplest, cheapest solution is to just use a different side cover.

I had a bent oil pump shaft too. It's caused by when you force the cover back on. The gears didn't mesh. This previous owner did this to the bike I bought. I only noticed this because the RPM's jumped around with no input.

tonyc, thanks for the response.

Robd, your explanation makes sense. I was thinking maybe they get bent in crashes, except this bike has no evidence of a wreck, same with the other bike I came across that had a bent oil pump shaft.

Furthermore, both times, the POs had made a lot of mistakes, and it looks like forcing the cover on was just one more.

As far as the pump itself, driving the shaft out and replacing will get that pump body usable. They havn't made them in 35 years so finding one might be tough.
On the cover, getting the gouges welded in and remachining it will fix it.
The cheapest and best way to fix would is as other said, replace it.
Leo

With enough money anything can be fixed, sometimes it's just better to replace it.
Leo

Back