Balancing Carby without Manometer? Dead cylinder variation.

XSAndy

XSAndy
Reaction score
So is it possible?
I do not have a manometer.
Here’s my theory and happy to have it critiqued to death.
Stock XS650SH, stock pretty much everything. Points on this one in Australia.

If I set my idle higher and disconnect a plug lead from each side one at a time, then change the balancing screw so that the same RPMs are happening each side, how does that sound? Then once same RPM each side I put both leads on the plugs again and readjust my idle to normal.

My right pipe has more puff coming out of it but that could be due to the steel rod that was whacked
up each side previously, to allow the pipes to breathe better. (Not my idea).
Having said that, the crossover tube should take care of this factor a bit.

I feel it’s more important to have the same fuel/ air going into the pots than to have the apparently same exhaust pressure coming out each pipe.
What do you think? Is this a potentially helpful way of approximately balancing the carbies ?
Maybe there’s a flaw in my logic somewhere.
I’d love your opinion. Maybe with a summary Yes or No at the beginning of your reply. (I’ll tally the votes).

Last edited:
There are many ways of balancing carbs, everyone has their favourite: Popsicle sticks, drill bits, ear, stethoscope, sound, many swear they can do it spot on, but stick a vacuum gauge or manometer on it after your fiddling and you'll see just how accurate your popsicle sticks are.
Many people just use a couple of coke bottles linked at the base, its a good a way as any and very accurate.

There was another post on the same subject just recently, I suggest you read through that.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/vacuum-sync-tool-for-carburator.64576/

This "dead cylinder" method sound more than dodgy to me. I have made vacuum gauges by fixing clear plastic hose (4-5 mm ID) to a board, and filling with ATF oil. This gives a cheap and extremely accurate vacuum gauge, much more accurate then "Carb Stix" , vacuum clocks or mercury filled gauges.

Yes, for just a few dollars, you can build a manometer .....

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp
Yes Sir
I found it helpful to have a restriction on the tubing .. A clamp of some sort so at the beginning if they are off gives at little more time to shut the engine
before the oil is sucked in
Adjusting and then on it again

You wont see any tools this good at that Price ever

For a total cost of $1.55 plus tax.

Back